what happens when blockchain grows too big?

已查看 147 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Erkan Yilmaz

未读,
2014年5月13日 06:47:262014/5/13
收件人 twiste...@googlegroups.com
a buddy asked: "what happens when the blockchain has grown too big to be practical? (what happens when people start uploading videos to the network etc?)"

helpful @amphetamine contributed with:
RT @amphetamine borrow ethereum's strategy? ethereum is a crazy idea to use the block chain for financial cloud computing. they plan to distribute "light trees" which are very pruned merkle trees for verifying specific transactions with some security

Other suggestions?

twister nick, @erkan_yilmaz

Miguel Freitas

未读,
2014年5月18日 15:13:012014/5/18
On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 7:47 AM, Erkan Yilmaz <erk...@gmail.com> wrote:
a buddy asked: "what happens when the blockchain has grown too big to be practical? (what happens when people start uploading videos to the network etc?)"

Assuming you are talking about twister: user's messages/photos/videos are NOT stored in blockchain, just the usernames are.

helpful @amphetamine contributed with:
RT @amphetamine borrow ethereum's strategy? ethereum is a crazy idea to use the block chain for financial cloud computing. they plan to distribute "light trees" which are very pruned merkle trees for verifying specific transactions with some security

I don't think usernames database will ever be impractical for typical desktop users, but yes, mobile users would benefit from some "light client" optimizations which includes merkle trees and distributing just the block chain hashes.

regards,

Miguel

m...@jarradhope.com

未读,
2014年7月7日 00:50:452014/7/7
收件人 twiste...@googlegroups.com
What would be the size of a user registration blockchain at 100 million users?

I'm unsure how big the data structure is but say 32 bytes per user 1e8 × 32 / 1024 / 1024  is like 3 gigs. Let's hope our mobile bandwidth gets far more permissive :)

Erkan Yilmaz

未读,
2014年7月11日 13:17:162014/7/11
收件人 twiste...@googlegroups.com
see also "Important idea: How-to reduce block chain size in future / old username clean up" for some discussion
回复全部
回复作者
转发
0 个新帖子