Can we protect our twister users better?

Erkan Yilmaz

Oct 8, 2014, 10:56:03 AM10/8/14
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

e.g.
- move this and the dev mailing list away from Google
- move the code/bug tracker away from the silo github (for every "git pull" a cat dies somewhere)
- use no google (or other?) url shorteners in official messages
- see also the twister code where twister detects its IP? that also pings a certain service.
-other areas where you see potential?

What suggestions do you have to implement above changes?

Erkan

Denis Ryabov

Oct 8, 2014, 12:03:03 PM10/8/14
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
1. URL shortener is not a part of Twister, and it isn't used in @twister official messages.

2. External IP may be set in -externalip command-line argument, and no external IP discovery tool is used in this case.

08.10.2014, 18:56, "Erkan Yilmaz" <erk...@gmail.com>:
> --

-------
С уважением,
Денис Рябов

Miguel Freitas

Oct 8, 2014, 1:33:05 PM10/8/14
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Erkan Yilmaz <erk...@gmail.com> wrote:
- move this and the dev mailing list away from Google

Do you really think it is that evil to have Google handle our dev/user lists?

I mean, this is basically public discussion here. I'd definitely agree with you if sensitive information were involved...

- move the code/bug tracker away from the silo github (for every "git pull" a cat dies somewhere)

funny! :-)

we could move the repository to some other (more free?) host. but remember anyone can copy the code to whatever he wants to, that includes copying the code back into github ;-)

- use no google (or other?) url shorteners in official messages

i will try to keep that in mind for @twister.

- see also the twister code where twister detects its IP? that also pings a certain service.

this the same bitcoin code and it is meant to speedup the detection process. we may obtain the IP also from our own local router, and twisterd supposedly "learns" the true external IP by the replies received.

regards,

Miguel

Erkan Yilmaz

Oct 8, 2014, 2:25:54 PM10/8/14
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
Hello Miguel,

>Do you really think it is that evil to have Google handle our dev/user lists?
yes,
because people who don't post and just want to read (about problems) will get tracked by Google
being public is good, but not so that it harms people

>i will try to keep that in mind for @twister.
cool

As you mention for the other things: there's a way to do it, I am not saying that YOU should do all,
I am sure we can help also.

Erkan

Miguel Freitas

Oct 8, 2014, 2:42:17 PM10/8/14
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
Hi Erkan,

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Erkan Yilmaz <erk...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Miguel,

>Do you really think it is that evil to have Google handle our dev/user lists?
yes,
because people who don't post and just want to read (about problems) will get tracked by Google
being public is good, but not so that it harms people

Good point. I'll try to subscribe mail-archive.com to both lists.

regards,

Miguel