Announcing following events...

erkan_...@yahoo.com

Feb 26, 2015, 4:49:02 AM2/26/15
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have started a bot (@newfollowers) which annonces new "public" following with twister posts like '@user1 has followed @user2 @user3...'

But I think someones have some concerns about privacy. What do you think about it? Should it continue or stop... And that must be kept in mind that anyone who uses twister can see, cache, distrubute "public" following, "public" posts, profiles, etc. in any time..

Have a nice day...
Erkan (@erkanyuksel)

Сёма Мрачный

Feb 26, 2015, 5:23:48 AM2/26/15
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
hey!

for me it is not a question. even if you shut it down, someone else can do yet another similar bot. as you reasonably said it is public information. personally I want to see notification about public followings as part of functionality of any clients of twister.

Denis Ryabov

Feb 26, 2015, 5:34:59 AM2/26/15
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
It's better to make it clear that followings list is a public information than suppress it. There are two private things only: private following and private messages.

And there are a lot of questions "how to get to know who follow me", this functionality is actually fantastic improvement of Twister.

26.02.15, 12:49, "erkan_yuksel via twister-users" <twiste...@googlegroups.com>":
> --

Sent from Yandex.Mail for mobile: http://m.ya.ru/ymail

Francesco Ariis

Feb 26, 2015, 5:36:44 AM2/26/15
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 01:49:01AM -0800, erkan_yuksel via twister-users wrote:
> I have started a bot (@newfollowers) which annonces new *"public" *following
> with twister posts like '@user1 has followed @user2 @user3...'
>
> But I think someones have some concerns about privacy. What do you think
> about it? Should it continue or stop... And that must be kept in mind that
> anyone who uses twister can see, cache, distrubute "public" following,
> "public" posts, profiles, etc. in any time..

As you noted, twister is a 'public space' (anyone who uses twister can see/
cache/use/store public posts/action), I don't think a privacy argument
can hold.

Erkan Yilmaz

Feb 26, 2015, 6:04:56 AM2/26/15
to twiste...@googlegroups.com, scarylit...@gmail.com, dry...@yandex.ru, fa...@ariis.it
Selam,

For me it's OK to use.

Though, you could offer people who don't like it that you exclude them from the announcements.

I think it's a good thing that you are running this bot, it opens some people's eyes about what is hidden here and what not, and that they should be careful then.

Another Erkan ;-)

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 10:49 AM, erkan_yuksel via twister-users <twiste...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi,

I have started a bot (@newfollowers) which annonces new "public" following with twister posts like '@user1 has followed @user2 @user3...'

But I think someones have some concerns about privacy. What do you think about it? Should it continue or stop... And that must be kept in mind that anyone who uses twister can see, cache, distrubute "public" following, "public" posts, profiles, etc. in any time..

Have a nice day...
Erkan (@erkanyuksel)

If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error)
please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail.
Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material
in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

Diese eMail enthaelt vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschuetzte Informationen.
Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese eMail irrtuemlich erhalten
haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail.
Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht
gestattet.

Miguel Freitas

Feb 26, 2015, 7:27:50 AM2/26/15
to twiste...@googlegroups.com, scarylit...@gmail.com, Denis Ryabov, fa...@ariis.it
Hi folks,

I totally agree with the arguments you all have posted here. This is already public information, the bot is just making it more explicit.

One may also put it in different terms: if it was NSA who was organizing such public information but not sharing their findings?

I don't think privacy concerns apply to information people already choose to make public.

On the contrary, they should be made more aware of the reaching/consequences of their decision to make a given information public, not less aware.

regards,

Miguel

Francesco Ariis

Feb 26, 2015, 7:35:46 AM2/26/15
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 09:27:28AM -0300, Miguel Freitas wrote:
> On the contrary, they should be made more aware of the
> reaching/consequences of their decision to make a given information public,
> not less aware.

I totally agree with this. Even if we were to adopt a "gentlemen agreement"
on not collecting/caching/publishing such data, it would only foster
a false sense of, mh, "un-publicness" in some twister's user.
signature.asc

Erkan Yüksel

Feb 26, 2015, 9:26:02 AM2/26/15
to twiste...@googlegroups.com, scarylit...@gmail.com, Denis Ryabov, fa...@ariis.it
Hi,

Thanks to everybody for comments..

Though, you could offer people who don't like it that you exclude them from the announcements.

Maybe an advisory field can be added to profile for bots like robot.txt.. it can't be forcible but it may give more control to users on public area..

Erkan