Does each node have an “ID”?

Klaus Alexander Seistrup

Aug 17, 2014, 9:40:34 AM8/17/14
to twist...@googlegroups.com
Does each node internally have a unique “ID” that distinguishes it from other nodes?

I'm asking because if you have twisterd listening to two or more network interfaces (say LAN, WAN and IPv6), it will happily connect to itself or to another node that it is already connected to over another interface, so that is is connected to another node more than once (a realistic example seen in the wild is connecting simultaneously over IPv4 and IPv6).

Is this a bug or a feature?

I'd say it would be better if each node had an internal ID – possibly different from invocation to invocation – so that a node could identify nodes already connected to.

Cheers,
Klaus

Miguel Freitas

Aug 17, 2014, 10:04:03 PM8/17/14
to twist...@googlegroups.com
Kind of. The unique ID has to depend on the external IP to prevent "sybil attacks". I'm not entirely sure this is the "ID" that you refer to, but here you will find an interesting discussing about this: