Gov web traffic 300 sites - a model for mn?

Steven Clift

Mar 20, 2015, 9:07:37 AM3/20/15
to twin-cities-brigade

I'd love to see this in MN: https://analytics.usa.gov

Marilyn Williams

Mar 20, 2015, 9:16:59 AM3/20/15
to Steven Clift, twin-cities-brigade
Steven,
Tell me why you would like to see this?  What would you or others do with the information?  Just curious because as an ​average citizen, I would not visit this site.  Now, my hope is that the government entities would see this of value to better serve their constituents where they are, meaning whatever device they are using.  What am I missing?

Marilyn Williams
Twitter:  JoyMWilliams

--
Find Open Twin Cities at http://opentwincities.org
---

Steven Clift

Mar 20, 2015, 9:29:28 AM3/20/15
to Marilyn Williams, twin-cities-brigade

Great question.

Agencies would compartively learn a ton about the content popularity that is actually being consumed by the public.

Most media sites have dynamic links to popular content of the day. I call this democratized navigation. This is not that directly, but step toward understanding that value.

Public access is my default ... if the Feds aren't afraid to share, neither should government that is closer to the people.

Marilyn Williams

Mar 20, 2015, 9:38:49 AM3/20/15
to Steven Clift, twin-cities-brigade
Steven,
I agree with the premise that government should be more transparent and offer information. However, I would like to see them have this capability in house first and understand how to use this data to better serve their 'customer'.  My limited experience in Government tells me that data on its own is not of value, especially if it clouds the face of the customer. There is a fine line between data and human response and being able to utilize it effectively takes a strong commitment and strategy.

Thanks for responding to my question.  I like the challenges you present.

Marilyn​

Marilyn Williams
Twitter:  JoyMWilliams

Steven Clift

Mar 20, 2015, 1:11:42 PM3/20/15
to Marilyn Williams, twin-cities-brigade
Note:

In the future, I hope to see the U.S. "measure up" to the standard set across the Atlantic by the United Kingdom and publish performance metrics on uptime, completion rate and user satisfaction for digital services. https://www.gov.uk/performance

Still, this is a great start, and the modern way that this in the open was built is notable for government digital work.

Steven Clift  -  Executive Director, E-Democracy

* Support E-Democracy. Pledge drive to raise $10,000 US:
      http://e-democracy.org/donate?ft  - Only $890 to 2015 Goal

Bill Bushey

Apr 21, 2015, 9:57:40 AM4/21/15
to twin-citi...@googlegroups.com, marilynwi...@gmail.com
Just saw this pop up - City of Philadelphia has created a website to report realtime analytics on their websites: http://analytics.phila.gov/

- Bill
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to twin-cities-brigade+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Amy Riegelman

Nov 5, 2015, 4:00:27 PM11/5/15
to Open Twin Cities
Hi! Bill Bushey suggested that I share my write-up on Analytics.usa.gov on this thread.

Using Analytics.usa.gov to Learn about Traffic on Government Websites
http://hdl.handle.net/11299/175123

I also wish there was MN version of Analytics.usa.gov. St. Paul and Minneapolis versions would be nice as well.