Star Tribune's Data Drop

MaryJo Webster

Mar 15, 2016, 3:45:55 PM3/15/16
to twin-cities-brigade

I thought some of you might be interested in hearing about the Star Tribune's new weekly feature on our website that aims to point out interesting things that we find in data. Plus, I’d love to hear any suggestions you might have for future pieces (either now or anytime in the future).

We’re calling this “Data Drop” and it will be published online each week (sometime between Tuesday and Thursday) and then some version of it will be converted for print publication in the following Sunday paper. Our editor wants it to be fairly “populist” in terms of topics, but we pretty much have a wide-open canvas to work on. Because of our deadline and resource constraints, these will have to be relatively simple and straightforward. All of them will have some sort of visualization – most likely at least a little bit interactive.

All of the pieces will be housed on this section page: http://www.startribune.com/local/datadrop/

You’ll see that we published one this morning using some climate data and the first one went out last week about Internet access in Minneapolis. We may occasionally publish more than one in a week, especially if there's something timely or breaking in the news.  (You’ll also see that this web page has data visualizations that we’ve published with stories over the past year – that was our way of filling up this page!)

Feel free to pass this along to any of your colleagues or others you might know who are fellow data geeks and might like to pitch me an idea. There is a ton of great data out there and probably my biggest challenge is wading through it and finding the best stuff.

thanks,

--
MaryJo Webster
Minneapolis Star Tribune

Bill Bushey

Mar 17, 2016, 10:14:59 AM3/17/16
to MaryJo Webster, twin-cities-brigade
Hi MaryJo,

This is great news, thanks for sharing. It's wonderful to see the Star Tribune dig into the growing corp of data being published by MN governments - and all of the data you're getting through DPA requests - and tell the stories that are in all of those datasets. Open data can not live up to it's democratic potential without journalists like you and your Strib colleagues helping to present and explain the information it contains.

Cheers,
Bill

--
Find Open Twin Cities at http://opentwincities.org