Government Spending in North Minneapolis

Danny Chen

Mar 3, 2016, 12:43:13 PM3/3/16
to Open Twin Cities
Hi everyone,

My name is Danny, and I am a journalism student at the University of Minnesota.  For my data journalism class, I am trying to find out how much money the government (whether it's local, state, or federal) has spent in the North Minneapolis in the last 20 years in an effort to revitalize it?

There are three other students in my team that are trying to find info on this, but we aren't having too much luck.  We've tried to contact Senator Bobby Joe Champion's office, Representative Raymond Dehn's office, and Coucilman Blong Yang's (5th Ward Minneapolis) office.  Unfortunately, we couldn't get any data from any of them on North Minneapolis.

The only data that we could find was on Open Gov: https://minneapolismn.opengov.com/ It shows data of government spending in the whole city of Minneapolis, but we need information a little bit more specific to North Minneapolis.

If anyone that knows how we can further our work, please let us know.  Or if anyone knows who we should contact, that will work great as well.

Thank you for the help!

Danny Chen

Gail O'Kane

May 1, 2016, 6:27:42 PM5/1/16
to Open Twin Cities
You might try contacting the non-profit called the Northside Achievement Zone. Also, the University of Minnesota has a center in North Minneaolis called UROC. Someone there might know, or know someone who knows: http://www.uroc.umn.edu/

Good luck!

Frank Beissel

May 1, 2016, 9:13:15 PM5/1/16
to Gail O'Kane, twin-cities-brigade

Sounds like a fun hunt.  Let me know what I can do to help?  For starts, we should benchmark against any community with open data we trust.

Frank,
Makeville

--
Find Open Twin Cities at http://opentwincities.org
---

Tony Webster

May 1, 2016, 10:18:10 PM5/1/16
to twin-cities-brigade
Looks like this is an old post, but on the off-chance it still helps: I also suggest chatting with CURA (Center for Urban and Regional Affairs) at the University of Minnesota. They've done a great deal of original research with reports and raw datasets, especially throughout North Minneapolis.

Your topic is quite broad, but if you're looking for funding to specific organizations, there's nonprofit 990s, and Minnesota Management and Budget has an "open checkbook" online with all State of Minnesota payments going back several years <http://mn.gov/mmb/transparency-mn/>. The City of Minneapolis council actions might have some limited data on specific development projects.

Both Hennepin County and the City of Minneapolis probably have some data that might be tangentially useful through property values and assessing data, increases in housing units or tax base over time, etc.

Minneapolis neighborhood organizations are uniquely strong, and there's usually many perspectives and a lot of historical first-hand knowledge from their members – but that information is hardly ever racially and economically inclusive.

--
Tony Webster

Michaeline Sheehy

May 1, 2016, 10:35:20 PM5/1/16