Fwd: [Mpls] Sunshine Week Presentation

Steven Clift

Mar 19, 2016, 8:23:37 AM3/19/16
to twin-cities-brigade
From: Janet Nye <p-jan...@forums.e-democracy.org>
Date: Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 10:05 PM
Subject: [Mpls] [Mols} Sunshine Week Presentation
To: Mpls Issues <mp...@forums.e-democracy.org>

― 1 file link ―

This Wednesday I was lucky to attend a presentation by the new team
dedicated to providing access to government data for the city. I was
impressed by the thorough presentation by Casey Carl, Kristen Olson,
Josh Schaffer and Christian Rummelhoff. They did an excellent job and
welcomed questions, which they answered thoroughly.

This is a great step forward for a city aspiring to openness and
transparency. I hope the city follows up with adequate staffing for
the records department at City Hall, which has been grossly
under-staffed for quite a while. I will be watching to see what
happens as this dynamic group continues to innovate and update our
data practices department.

I have provided a link to the presentation.

Janet Nye
Phillips

Mar 19, 2016, 12:10:00 PM3/19/16
to twin-cities-brigade
I was also at the Wednesday evening event, and like Janet, I was impressed with what the City - in particular the Clerk and his staff - shared and the way they answered questions. I left with the sense that the City Clerk's office really is committed to enabling and improving resident access to public data held by Minneapolis, in spite of limited resources and the limited enforcement mechanisms of the Data Practices Act.

To me, the most impressive thing mentioned during the Wednesday event was that the City Clerk asked the City Auditor to audit the city's records and data management and access processes - knowing full well the resulting public report would be very critical of the processes that the Clerk is ultimately responsible for. And the report submitted to the Audit Council on October 20th, 2015 was pretty critical. The Clerk also mentioned that he will be presenting his plan to address the Auditor's issues at the March 30th City Council Meeting, at 10am. I plan on going to that meeting, and I'll encourage everybody to attend to learn about the Clerk's plans to improve public access to city information, and to show support for greater public access to Minneapolis data and official records.

--
Find Open Twin Cities at http://opentwincities.org
---

wbushey

Mar 29, 2016, 2:24:54 PM3/29/16
to Open Twin Cities
A quick reminder, Minneapolis' City Clerk will be presenting his plan to address the Auditor's issues, and improve public access to data held by Minneapolis, tomorrow morning at 10am. The agenda for tomorrow's meeting can be found at http://www.minneapolismn.gov/meetings/cow/WCMSP-176359 , and the Clerk's 114 page response is at http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/public/@clerk/documents/agenda/wcmsp-176371.pdf

Cheers,
Bill