Source code export error: "global name (codecs)" is not defined

Porpentine

Sep 2, 2012, 8:03:26 PM9/2/12
to twee...@googlegroups.com
When I try to export source code from any story, I receive this error. It has nothing to do with story content, since I tried exporting with both empty and minimal stories as well. Thanks for any help!

Stormrose

Sep 3, 2012, 12:01:00 AM9/3/12
to twee...@googlegroups.com
I haven't seen that one before! What version of Twine and on what OS?
The closest error I've seen to that is a Unicode error - which the recent alphas should have fixed (but not bullet-proof tested yet).

--Et

Porpentine

Sep 3, 2012, 2:26:42 AM9/3/12
to twee...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I saw that thread and downloaded the alpha. Same problem. The alpha doesn't have the internal number updated to 1.3.6 when I check the About Twine menu but it is the 1.3.6 exe file. This is on Windows 7.

Porpentine

Sep 3, 2012, 2:28:48 AM9/3/12
to twee...@googlegroups.com
This happens even from a fresh install of either 1.3.5 or 1.3.6.

Stormrose

Sep 3, 2012, 3:45:02 PM9/3/12
to twee...@googlegroups.com
Hmmmm I can't re-create, but then I am a few versions past that alpha. Can I please impose by asking for screen-shot of the error? This will help me track things down.

--Et

Porpentine

Sep 3, 2012, 9:00:14 PM9/3/12
to twee...@googlegroups.com

Stormrose

Sep 4, 2012, 5:43:15 AM9/4/12
to twee...@googlegroups.com
Thanks: I know what that error is - ummmmm I missed something in the source code for that build! That problem is obv. fixed in the builds I'm using.
Let me try making a new .exe package (and hopefully installer too?) and get back to you. ok. so at least i can build EXE files again :)

You should be able to unzip that folder and run the Twine.exe straight from this. You could copy it over your existing Twine install but might want to backup your "targets" folder or you'll lose custom changes you've made to your storyformats.

This version is also not without it's problems: you'll notice the window title blink away as the mouse-moves. I'm in the middle of trying to get tooltips to work.

--Et

Porpentine

Sep 4, 2012, 2:02:38 PM9/4/12
to twee...@googlegroups.com
thanks so much for your help! this works!

Stormrose

Sep 5, 2012, 2:57:32 AM9/5/12
to twee...@googlegroups.com
You're welcom. Happy Twine'ing

Stormrose

Sep 5, 2012, 2:57:33 AM9/5/12
to twee...@googlegroups.com

9of9

Jan 18, 2014, 12:21:07 PM1/18/14
to twee...@googlegroups.com
I am having the same error - attempting to export the source code gives me the 'codecs' error, using the 1.3.6 alpha.

The dropBox link provided in this thread seems to have long since stopped working - are there any versions out there currently where this functionality works? =/