turbulenzSDK-0.28.0.run: line 354: virtualenv: command not found

Terry Hubbard

Jan 19, 2015, 1:32:06 PM1/19/15
to turbulenz-e...@googlegroups.com
I can find no help for this one...

Ian Ballantyne

Jan 19, 2015, 2:09:04 PM1/19/15
to turbulenz-e...@googlegroups.com
It sounds like it was unable to install the virtualenv, which is require to install the Turbulenz environment.

If you see turbulenz/sdk/0.28.0 in your home directory delete it and please try running "./TurbulenzSDK-0.28.0.run" again and post a copy of what it says in the terminal output.

Hopefully we can try and figure out what is failing.

Terry Hubbard

Jan 19, 2015, 2:16:56 PM1/19/15
to turbulenz-e...@googlegroups.com
thanks for the quick response. While waiting i tried installing the 0.27.0 version and got the same result so i will post;

Processing virtualenv-1.9.1.tar.gz
Running virtualenv-1.9.1/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir /tmp/easy_install-U6jLXC/virtualenv-1.9.1/egg-dist-tmp-vubi1w
warning: no previously-included files matching '*' found under directory 'docs/_templates'
warning: no previously-included files matching '*' found under directory 'docs/_build'
virtualenv 1.9.1 is already the active version in easy-install.pth
Installing virtualenv script to /usr/local/bin
Installing virtualenv-2.7 script to /usr/local/bin

Installed /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/virtualenv-1.9.1-py2.7.egg
Processing dependencies for virtualenv==1.9.1
Finished processing dependencies for virtualenv==1.9.1
Creating a virtualenv in /Users/(user)/Turbulenz/SDK/0.27.0 (this isolates the Turbulenz
tools from your system Python installation) ...
./TurbulenzSDK-0.27.0.run: line 349: virtualenv: command not found
ERROR: Failed to create virtual env

Ian Ballantyne

Jan 19, 2015, 2:22:17 PM1/19/15
to turbulenz-e...@googlegroups.com
From the Turbulenz/SDK/0.28.0 directory try manually typing:

virtualenv -v --no-site-packages -p python2.7 env

Please let me know what the output says.

Terry Hubbard

Jan 19, 2015, 2:44:58 PM1/19/15
to turbulenz-e...@googlegroups.com
in SDK/0.28.0 result;             -bash: virtualenv: command not found

same thing in the 27 directory.

Terry Hubbard

Jan 19, 2015, 2:50:09 PM1/19/15
to turbulenz-e...@googlegroups.com
...and i deleted them and tried again. Same same.

Ian Ballantyne

Jan 19, 2015, 3:32:08 PM1/19/15
to turbulenz-e...@googlegroups.com
Ok,

Can you try running:

easy-install-2.7 virtualenv==1.9.1

Then try again.

Terry Hubbard

Jan 19, 2015, 3:38:43 PM1/19/15
to turbulenz-e...@googlegroups.com
-bash: easy-install-2.7: command not found

Terry Hubbard

Jan 19, 2015, 3:52:05 PM1/19/15
to turbulenz-e...@googlegroups.com
just so you know who/what you are dealing with. I am not versed in apple coding. Using terminal is pretty new to me. I've only been a mac user for a couple of years now. Having to have so  many steps to install software is kind of alien to me. But I am not completely ignorant of gaming engines, or scripting and code. For example, I was not exactly sure where I was supposed to execute that last snippet, so I navigated to the SDK/0.28.0 directory. I am interested in figuring this out.

Ian Ballantyne

Jan 19, 2015, 4:10:48 PM1/19/15
to turbulenz-e...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that was correct. Thanks for your patience with this. There is clearly an issue with our installer script not being compatible with your setup. Everything you are doing is helping in tracking it down.

You previous output seems to indicate it has installed virtualenv, do you mind closing the terminal window, opening it again an then running in the Turbulenz/SDK/0.28.0

/usr/local/bin/virtualenv -v --no-site-packages -p python2.7 env

Terry Hubbard

Jan 19, 2015, 4:18:30 PM1/19/15
to turbulenz-e...@googlegroups.com
-bash: /usr/local/bin/virtualenv: Permission denied

???

Ian Ballantyne

Jan 19, 2015, 4:29:23 PM1/19/15
to turbulenz-e...@googlegroups.com
Ok. It looks as though your user can run that command for some reason, maybe from a previous installation.

You might be able to run this, again in Turbulenz/SDK/0.28.0:

python -m virtualenv -p python2.7 --no-site-packages env

Message has been deleted

Terry Hubbard

Jan 19, 2015, 4:46:00 PM1/19/15
to turbulenz-e...@googlegroups.com
Removing directory: /Users/___/Turbulenz/SDK/0.28.0 ...
Unzipping the Turbulenz SDK ...

NOTE: Python virtualenv not found.  This installer will
      now request superuser privileges to install it on
      the system.  If prompted, please enter your password
      or press CTRL-C to quit the install.
dyld: DYLD_ environment variables being ignored because main executable (/usr/bin/sudo) is setuid or setgid
Password:
Processing virtualenv-1.9.1.tar.gz
Running virtualenv-1.9.1/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir /tmp/easy_install-LGYuYX/virtualenv-1.9.1/egg-dist-tmp-NA_yeU
warning: no previously-included files matching '*' found under directory 'docs/_templates'
warning: no previously-included files matching '*' found under directory 'docs/_build'
virtualenv 1.9.1 is already the active version in easy-install.pth
Installing virtualenv script to /usr/local/bin
Installing virtualenv-2.7 script to /usr/local/bin

Installed /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/virtualenv-1.9.1-py2.7.egg
Processing dependencies for virtualenv==1.9.1
Finished processing dependencies for virtualenv==1.9.1
Creating a virtualenv in /Users/r___/Turbulenz/SDK/0.28.0 (this isolates the Turbulenz
tools from your system Python installation) ...
./TurbulenzSDK-0.28.0.run: line 354: virtualenv: command not found

Terry Hubbard

Jan 19, 2015, 4:52:53 PM1/19/15
to turbulenz-e...@googlegroups.com
python -m virtualenv -p python2.7 --no-site-packages env   < ran this as directed. It ran. SO then I tried again -see previous msg.

Ian Ballantyne

Jan 19, 2015, 4:55:05 PM1/19/15
to turbulenz-e...@googlegroups.com
So I assume you had to type in the admin password when it prompted?

Did the previous command run? If so I can fix the install script for you.

Terry Hubbard

Jan 19, 2015, 4:59:13 PM1/19/15
to turbulenz-e...@googlegroups.com
yes had to type admin password, and the previous command did run. There was no error so I tried again. If you can help me get it going great. I am challenged now just to figure this out!

Ian Ballantyne

Jan 19, 2015, 5:13:38 PM1/19/15
to turbulenz-e...@googlegroups.com
Ok to fix the installer if you open TurbulenzSDK-0.28.0.run in a text editor and replace the line:

virtualenv -v --no-site-packages -p python$python_version env || \

with

python -m virtualenv -p python2.7 --no-site-packages env || \

It's around line 349. Then save it. Do:

chmod a+x TurbulenzSDK-0.28.0.run

Then try again.

If that's not straightforward, I will try and find a way to get an updated installer to you.
Drop me an email with your preferred email address and I'll send it.

Terry Hubbard

Jan 19, 2015, 5:30:00 PM1/19/15
to turbulenz-e...@googlegroups.com
That worked. However I have installed everything, apparently successfully, but am completely ignorant of what to do next? I can find no app to run.

Ian Ballantyne

Jan 19, 2015, 5:35:55 PM1/19/15
to turbulenz-e...@googlegroups.com
Brilliant. From the Terminal in SDK/0.28.0/ do:

source start_env
./start_local.sh

That will run the local server. Once it says: "Serving on 0.0.0.0:8070 view at http://127.0.0.1:8070"
Then go to http://127.0.0.1:8070 in your browser

You can then explore samples and example apps.

Terry Hubbard

Jan 19, 2015, 5:44:34 PM1/19/15
to turbulenz-e...@googlegroups.com
Got there but the page said no engine installed, so I downloaded and installed it again. Refreshed page. Same thing!
Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 2.42.32 PM.png

Ian Ballantyne

Jan 19, 2015, 5:52:31 PM1/19/15
to turbulenz-e...@googlegroups.com
You can ignore that message. It's only required if you want to run the "plugin" version of the engine, which is not available on Mac. If you select a project, then the 'play' button.

The version(s) you want to run is in the form:

APPNAME.canvas.debug.html
APPNAME.canvas.release.html
APPNAME.canvas.js

(You can ignore the others as they are plugin builds)

Terry Hubbard

Jan 19, 2015, 6:12:24 PM1/19/15
to turbulenz-e...@googlegroups.com
Ok. I am taking up your time - and i appreciate it. Perhaps it is because my brain is tired from stretching...lol, but I do not know what you mean by 'form' - do i launch from terminal? I don't see a  lot of options on the webpage. Where do I find a 3d GUI environment to work with? I am pretty lost at this point. Made it through the woods to get lost in the forest...

Terry Hubbard

Jan 19, 2015, 6:16:03 PM1/19/15
to turbulenz-e...@googlegroups.com
Found it!

Terry Hubbard

Jan 19, 2015, 6:27:27 PM1/19/15
to turbulenz-e...@googlegroups.com
Well I found the samples but I they are all just games, no editor or 3d interface, and on the one with the duck my mouse kept causing an error. I'll try again at some point maybe. Thanks for your help.

Ian Ballantyne

Jan 19, 2015, 6:28:32 PM1/19/15
to turbulenz-e...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I meant the links to click on to play the samples on the webpage:
  1. http://127.0.0.1:8070/
  2. Click on project image
  3. Click Play
  4. Click on APPNAME.canvas.debug.html
As an example.

There is not a 3D editing environment as such to edit them. The samples can be edited using a text editor and reloaded by refreshing the page.
The documentation at docs.turbulenz.com lists the available APIs and the samples demonstrate how they work.

Apologies if you were looking for visual editing tool. Each of our game projects tends to develop their own editor to suit the game.