Turbogears needs to document Python 3

Joshua Bowman

Mar 14, 2016, 4:17:25 AM3/14/16
to TurboGears
Turbogears claims to support Python 3.2-3.4, but as far as I can tell, that's not true. The primary install documentation ( https://turbogears.readthedocs.org/en/latest/turbogears/install.html ) only gives instructions for installing under 2.7. The wiki ( https://turbogears.readthedocs.org/en/latest/turbogears/wiki20.html ) against only has instructions for installing under 2.6 and 2.7. If you won't even document the bare bones of how to use it under 3, then you don't really support 3. All I want to know is how do I get this on my system so I can start playing with it, without having to deep dive into the install code and without having to revert to an ancient dialect of Python. (For me, anyway, I've been using Py3 for 6+ years now and can't go back.)

Alessandro Molina

Mar 14, 2016, 4:25:48 AM3/14/16
to TurboGears
There is no difference in the way you install it on Python3 or Python2... So there isn't much to document :)
If you prefer you can just use built-in pyvenv instead of suggested virtualenv, but apart from that, there are no differences in the way you install TG itself.

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 9:11 AM, Joshua Bowman <silver...@gmail.com> wrote:
Turbogears claims to support Python 3.2-3.4, but as far as I can tell, that's not true. The primary install documentation ( https://turbogears.readthedocs.org/en/latest/turbogears/install.html ) only gives instructions for installing under 2.7. The wiki ( https://turbogears.readthedocs.org/en/latest/turbogears/wiki20.html ) against only has instructions for installing under 2.6 and 2.7. If you won't even document the bare bones of how to use it under 3, then you don't really support 3. All I want to know is how do I get this on my system so I can start playing with it, without having to deep dive into the install code and without having to revert to an ancient dialect of Python. (For me, anyway, I've been using Py3 for 6+ years now and can't go back.)

David Robinson

Sep 16, 2016, 2:11:03 PM9/16/16
to TurboGears
I tried the tutorial stuff in the Turbogears docs (August 2106) using the latest TG and Python 3.5 under Windows and using virtual env and had no Python version related issues at all.