Extending length / size of tg_user.user_name

Andrew Young

Aug 23, 2015, 1:16:11 PM8/23/15
to TurboGears
Hello:

I see the size of the tg_user.user_name is character varying(16) in my postgres db.  Is there any reason why I cannot extend this to 255?  I want to use email addresses as the user_name and some of my users have very long names.

Thanks, Andrew

Alessandro Molina

Aug 23, 2015, 1:27:11 PM8/23/15
to TurboGears

You can actually make it as long as you wish.

The only side effect I can think of is that on some authentication backends the username is saved in the cookie so if it gets too big it might get truncated. But that's big for real :)