ToscaWidgets2 vs Turbogears.widgets

Henry Cho

Dec 1, 2016, 8:28:44 PM12/1/16
to TurboGears
Hello,

I'm working on a project with my team that was created with turbogears1, were trying to update it. The issue we are having is with thee turbogears.widgets module. It seems that turbogears 2.3.9 does not have this module anymore, instead using toscawidgets2. Does anyone know if tw2 has direct equivalents with the old turbogears.widgets?

for example, in our project we use:
from turbogears.widgets import TableForm, TextArea, SingleSelectField, CalendarDatePicker, CalendarDateTimePicker, TextField, MultipleSelectField, FieldSet,CheckBox,LinkRemoteFunction, CheckBox, CompoundFormField, HiddenField, CompoundIn
putWidget, DataGrid, CheckBoxList , ListForm, SubmitButton,RadioButtonList

I know that some of these also exist in tw2, but do they work in a similar way? When trying to import them from tw2 we sometimes get synatx errors. It's somewhat difficult to find documentation for some of these in tw2, does anyone know what the best approach would be? I'm currently looking at the tw2 docs here: http://tw2core.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

but it doesnt seem to have very much information.

Thanks.

Craig Small

Dec 1, 2016, 9:43:28 PM12/1/16
to TurboGears

Hi Henry,
  Updating the widget set is definitely thecway to go. That won't make the pain go away.

The question becomes which set? I initially started on the tw2 extension widgets but found some of them limiting for my use. Remember tw2 core is the base widget and you need to find the extensions for tw2 to do anything useful.

I eventually settled on using different of widgets but used tw2 core to build them out. It gave a handle for turbogears to work with.

There's basically 3 parts to the widget.  I will definitely be using the wrong terms here.
#1 turbogears needs to require the right set of javascript and css files. These are resources in the tw2 core.
#2 the right set of data needs to be fed into the widget. I have chopped and changed between directly feeding the widget through tg or making it get it from json. The json fetch method seems to be more complicated but causes less problems expecially around updates and caching.
#3 you got your js and css you got your data. Now to present it. These are made as templates of the customised widget which inherited the tw2 basic widget. If you have already played with templates in turbogears its more of the same thing.

- Craig

GPG fingerprint:        5D2F B320 B825 D939 04D2  0519 3938 F96B DF50 FEA5