Install 2.3.3 - Development Env'

Paul Kraus

Jun 16, 2015, 1:12:43 PM6/16/15
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
I am setting up a development environment for a TG installation that is running 2.3.3. I can't seem to figure out how to install this version and not 2.3.5. I have tried pip install tg.devtools==2.3.3 and that package is fine but the rest that it installs are not.

I want my environment as close to the production environment as possible.

Thoughts?

Michael Pedersen

Jun 16, 2015, 1:15:23 PM6/16/15
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
I don't have a lot of suggestions for that directly, mainly because I haven't written the docs for all of this yet. However, you can use https://github.com/TurboGears/tgcloud to get started building a Vagrant/VirtualBox image. You should only need to deal with specific packages, I think.

Alessandro Molina

Jun 16, 2015, 4:36:47 PM6/16/15
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
As each version of tg.devtools requires TG>= of its own version, if you install tg.devtools==2.3.3 you probably end up with devtools==2.3.3 and TG==2.3.5 as 2.3.5 is the last TG release. If you want to explicitly install both 2.3.3 TG and 2.3.3 devtools you must install 'TurboGears==2.3.3' and then 'tg.devtools==2.3.3'.

It makes a lot of sense to me that devtools should only work and install the same exact TG version, but it has always been possible to mix versions of them since TG existed.
This was meant to provide a way to properly upgrade parts of the framework without having to upgrade everything. A possible reason for that is in case you need an old version of devtools that provided a deprecated command but you want to work with a more recent version of TG, that is currently possible because you can install two different versions of devtools and TG. As it has always been like that I never changed the behaviour, but as I usually favour replicable deployments more than flexibility in mixing up versions I'm not against forcing the exact TG version inside the devtools if the community thinks that it is preferred.