Re: [TurboGears] TurboGears2 ideal development environment

Message has been deleted

Alessandro Molina

Nov 27, 2015, 4:30:51 PM11/27/15
to TurboGears
It's still unclear to me what you mean by "an IDE that supports TG2".

I have been using PyCharm with TG2 projects for the past 2 years and I relied on the integrated debugger, query analysis, test suite runner, coverage reporter, autocompletion, autoimport, template syntax highlight and so on. Not sure which feature you are missing o_O

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 8:42 PM, Robert James Liguori <glies...@gmail.com> wrote:
What is the ideal development environment when working with TurboGears2, matplotlib and SQLAlchemy with a rest interface?

That is, please list out all helpful resources if anyone has the time.

Note that I've been trying to find an IDE that directly supports TG2 and I can't find one... so I'm thinking now not to use one and just to leverage off of vim and other resources.

Thanks,
Robert

Message has been deleted

Tim Black

Nov 27, 2015, 4:46:47 PM11/27/15
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
I prefer SublimeText most of the time.  If I need refactoring support, then I use PyDev/Aptana in Eclipse.  Eclipse can provide auto-completion based your existing Python libraries and code snippet completion.  I think SublimeText can do something similar.  These are my more full-featured environments.

I used to use Boa Constructor with Bicycle Repair Man for refactoring, but Boa Constructor is a bit dated and lacks some features you might want today.  Its refactoring might still be better than PyDev's; I don't know.  For interesting interactivity with matplotlib graphs, you might try using LightTable:  http://www.chris-granger.com/2013/04/28/light-table-040/.  LightTable probably doesn't have all the features you want, but its interactivity is a killer feature.  It's because of the similar but better interactivity in Chrome DevTools that I've moved to DevTools for most JavaScript work.

I wish I knew what vim offers, but I've never taken enough time to get comfortable with it.

Tim

Tim Black

Nov 27, 2015, 4:48:56 PM11/27/15
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
For things like gearbox, database migrations, test runners and filesystem watchers I prefer just using the command line rather than an IDE.

Tim

On 11/27/2015 03:39 PM, Robert James Liguori wrote:
 how do you invoke gearbox?  you work in and out of the IDE?

Christoph Zwerschke

Nov 27, 2015, 5:07:51 PM11/27/15
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Am 27.11.2015 um 22:48 schrieb Tim Black:
> For things like gearbox, database migrations, test runners and
> filesystem watchers I prefer just using the command line rather than an IDE.

But of course IDEs like PyCharm also have command line and terminal
windows, and can also integrate database tools. So normally you don't
even need to leave the IDE.

-- Christoph

Craig Small

Nov 27, 2015, 11:10:38 PM11/27/15
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious about PyCharm. How easy was it to get it working on an "in flight" project? The problems I had with it was it sort of assumed a certain filesystem layout.  Also is virtualenv supported? It's been a while since I tried it out, perhaps these things have been long fixed.

 - Craig

GPG fingerprint:        5D2F B320 B825 D939 04D2  0519 3938 F96B DF50 FEA5

Christoph Zwerschke

Nov 28, 2015, 4:08:13 AM11/28/15
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Am 28.11.2015 um 05:10 schrieb Craig Small:
> I'm curious about PyCharm. How easy was it to get it working on an
> "in flight" project? The problems I had with it was it sort of
> assumed a certain filesystem layout. Also is virtualenv supported?
> It's been a while since I tried it out, perhaps these things have
> been long fixed.

I've used both Eclipse+PyDev and PyCharm with TurboGears projects, and
both were easy to setup and supported virtualenvs very well. PyCharm is
a bit more convenient than Eclipse/PyDev, but it's not free. I can
highly recommend both of them for TurboGears.

-- Christoph

Message has been deleted

Damien Accorsi

Nov 29, 2015, 5:42:25 AM11/29/15
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I also uses PyCharm on a daily base. No need for other tool (except pgadmin for large SQL opeartions / investigations).
Like Tim Black, I still use command line for all "not dev" stuff (tests, migrations, gearbox, virtualenv).

Damien

Le 28/11/2015 14:58, Robert James Liguori a écrit :
Thank you... I've setup and am now using PyCharm.

-- Christoph

Alessandro Molina

Nov 29, 2015, 8:21:41 AM11/29/15
to TurboGears
Invoking Gearbox is pretty simple, you can just create a Run Configuration with it.
Then both running and debugging will work (avoid --reload option or debugging won't work properly)

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 10:39 PM, Robert James Liguori <glies...@gmail.com> wrote:
 how do you invoke gearbox?  you work in and out of the IDE?
On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 4:30 PM, Alessandro Molina <alessand...@gmail.com> wrote:

Message has been deleted

Alessandro Molina

Nov 29, 2015, 8:56:14 AM11/29/15
to TurboGears
Database Migration?

If you mean a database migration that's part of Evolutionary/Agile Database Design it's a way to changing schema or data in the database through script that "migrate" data to new schema or values

On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 2:52 PM, Robert James Liguori <glies...@gmail.com> wrote:
What is a migration?  This is a new term to me as I'm a Java guy.
Message has been deleted