Alessandro Molina - Thank you

Paul Kraus

Sep 15, 2015, 4:18:39 PM9/15/15
to TurboGears
Alessandro Molina,
I just want to say how much I appreciate your effort on this project. I have used all the python frameworks started with this one back in TG1 when i barely could program and it still let me slap together an ugly barely functioning intranet that my company still uses. I say barely usable and ugly because of coder me from 12 years ago. I wish i could shot that project in the face... At any rate

I then left TG thinking that i *needed* to learn the others only to realize as my experience grew that your framework does everything i could need and you have just abstracted away so much of the grunt work YET still have it fully available. I played with flask and have some API written in it, played with pyramid, pylons, django, <insert hot python framework from last decade> and this is still my go to work horse and i have yet to find a project that TG isn't the perfect fit for, especially as i learn more about it.

Your framework has fueled a lucrative career for me allowing me to design...
  1. Internal intranet
  2. An internal WMS system(picking, packing, bar-coding, receiving)
  3. Built up a legacy ERP system (think 1 step up from green screens) by abstracting out all of the user interfaces into a TG app that my users love.
  4. 1 commercial website used daily by pretty much our entire industry
  5. Several API's allowing for 3rd party/vendor integration's
  6. Starting to develop an inventory management application
  7. More that i can't think of off the top of my head.
TG just lets me get right to work. I can focus on solving problems and forgetting about my stack unless there is need to poke at it.

This project doesn't get nearly the attention that it should. So in summary ... Thanks!

I feel like i should be giving back to the community but not sure where i should start or where we need work done.

Alessandro Molina

Sep 16, 2015, 3:04:17 AM9/16/15
to TurboGears
Hi Paul,

I really appreciated your email, even through I'm far from calling this "my framework". I have been involved in TG only for the past 2-3 years and the framework evolved for nearly 10 years thanks to the work of Mark, Chris Perkins, Christoph Zwerschke, Michael, Kevin and many other people that contributed and I'm probably missing.

I totally shared your feelings when I got involved in TG, it's the framework that so far best matched the way I think and like to work and that's why I ended up contributing to it.

Regarding being unsure about where to start for contribution, my suggestion is just to go on with whatever you need yourself.
As an user you are in the best position to know what users need.

It's usually easier to start by fixing bugs and documentation as in that case you can just fix the bugs you are facing yourself or write down things you had to learn and were missing or unclear in the doc. But even publishing libraries or pluggables you wrote for yourself is a great starting point as they can be a great foundation for other people that need the same even when the lib is incomplete.

In the end, whatever you needed yourself is something that others probably need and will be appreciated :)

Stuart Zurcher

Sep 24, 2015, 11:36:59 PM9/24/15
to TurboGears
I second your opinion! A hearty thank you to all who have worked on TG.  I keep coming back to TG after trying others out because of its structure and abilities.  TG definitely needs more recognition than it receives.
Great Job guys!