How do I find out the password?

nsponlin...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2017, 9:34:47 AM4/10/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
This seems like a very stupid question but I'm on a Mac and there is no way that I see to reveal what the password is? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Tunnelblick developer

Apr 10, 2017, 9:41:18 AM4/10/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
It depends on what password you want to reveal. The password for your Mac? The password to a VPN service provider's website? The password to connect to a particular VPN server? The passphrase to access a certificate?

Tunnelblick stores the usernames, passwords, and passphrases to the macOS "Keychain" if requested. Their names start with "Tunnelblick", and include the name of the configuration that they are associated with. You can use the macOS "Keychain Access" program to see them.

nsponlin...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2017, 10:06:18 AM4/10/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
That was great! But one small other question... what is the username? I'm using the macOS "Keychain Access" program.

Tunnelblick developer

Apr 10, 2017, 10:08:39 AM4/10/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
If you saved the username and the password for a VPN configuration, there should be two entries shown in Keychain Access for that configuration. One is the username, the other is the password.

nsponlin...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2017, 10:17:19 AM4/10/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Hmmm... I don't see the username anywhere?

Tunnelblick developer

Apr 10, 2017, 11:38:43 AM4/10/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Each of the username and password are stored in Keychain as a password, so there should be two, assuming both the username and the password were saved.

To see what Tunnelblick thinks was saved, paste the following into Terminal:

defaults read net.tunnelblick.tunnelblick | grep keychainHas

You'll get something like:

    "CA Toronto-keychainHasUsernameAndPassword" = 1;

    "Canada-keychainHasUsernameAndPassword" = 1;

    "CanadaX-keychainHasUsernameAndPassword" = 1;

    "Denmark7-keychainHasUsernameAndPassword" = 1;

    "Denmark8-keychainHasUsername" = 1;

    "SB-Australia-keychainHasUsernameAndPassword" = 1;

    "Scramble USA-keychainHasUsernameAndPassword" = 1;

which says that the "Denmark8" configuration has only the username saved and all the other configurations ("CA Toronto", "Canada", etc.) have both a username and password saved.

Note that this listing can be incorrect because it shows what Tunnelblick did. The user can (with Keychain Access) delete a saved username or password and Tunnelblick would not know that until it tried to access the saved username or password.

Here's a partial screenshot from Keychain Access:

It shows the two entries for "SB-Australia". Both are called "passwords" by Keychain Access, but one is a username and the other is a password. Double-click an entry to see details.

John Ng

Apr 10, 2017, 12:04:07 PM4/10/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Thank you very much for your time!