Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s): script-security

jeremy...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2018, 4:56:35 PM3/9/18
to tunnelblick-discuss
After upgrading to 3.7.5, I started getting this:

Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in config.ovpn:18: script-security (2.4.4)

My config file has not changed in a couple of years, but here's the relevant line:

script-security 3 system

Any idea why this option is causing trouble?

Tunnelblick developer

Mar 9, 2018, 5:06:29 PM3/9/18
to tunnelblick-discuss
Tunnelblick 3.7.5 defaults to use OpenVPN 2.4 (earlier versions defaulted to 2.3). OpenVPN 2.4 does not accept the second parameter ("system") of the "script-security" option. The parameter was deprecated in OpenVPN 2.2 several years ago, and was been ignored in OpenVPN 2.3 before it was removed in 2.4.

The best thing to do is to remove the option.

You could instruct Tunnalblick to use OpenVPN 2.3 if you want, but at some point new versions of Tunnelblick will not include OpenVPN 2.3 and then you'd be stuck. If you insist on doing that, you can choose the OpenVPN version on the "Settings" tab of the "Configurations" panel of Tunnelblick's "VPN Details" window. Changes you make are applied to all configurations that are selected in the list on the left side of the window, so you can

jeremy...@gmail.com

Mar 10, 2018, 11:19:07 AM3/10/18
to tunnelblick-discuss
I removed the "system" parameter and it works again. Thanks!