Shared Config doesn't work

tobias....@googlemail.com

Sep 22, 2017, 6:34:30 AM9/22/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Hi Forum,

i have a copied the the whole Tunnelblick folder from /Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick.
When I try to insert it to my Tunnelblick it says that there is no Config to run.
We have the same Ethernet/WiFi settings and on her Macbook it runs perfectly.
Does anyone know why I can't use that config file? Even if I copy the whole content?
Cheers!

Tunnelblick developer

Sep 22, 2017, 7:29:19 AM9/22/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Hi. Sorry about the problem you're having.

You can't use the "Tunnelblick" folder as a configuration because it is not a configuration (it contains configurations).

Please note also that simply copying files or folders does not ensure that they have the proper ownership and permissions. Configurations should be installed.

Here is a guide to copying configurations from one computer to another:

To copy shared configurations from a "source" computer to a "target" computer:
  1. Install Tunnelblick on the target computer. Leave it running with its icon visible in the menu bar.

  2. Copy the source computer's /Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick/Shared folder to somewhere on the target computer (such as the Desktop).

  3. Open the target computer's copy of the folder in a Finder window and select all of the configurations that you wish to install.

  4. Drag all of the selected configurations and drop them on the Tunnelblick icon in the menu bar. The pointer should change to a green plus sign ("+") when it is over the Tunnelblick icon until you drop them.
You'll be asked if you want them to be shared or private, and asked for a computer admin's authorization to install them.

The Tunnelblick settings for the configurations will not be copied unless the original configurations were set up to include them (which is very unlikely), so you will have to either set them up manually or copy the preference file. (The OpenVPN settings for the configuration are included in the configuration and do not need to be copied.)

VPN credentials (usernames, passwords, and private keys) will not be copied either. I believe they could be "exported" from one computer and "imported" to another computer using /Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access, but have never done that myself.

To copy all Tunnelblick settings from a "source" computer to a "target" computer, simply copy the file /Users/USERNAME/Library/Preferences/net.tunnelblick.tunnelblick.plist from the source computer to the corresponding Preferences folder on the target computer. (If you do that with Finder the ownership and permissions should be OK.)

To copy private configurations, copy the source computer's /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick/Configurations folder and proceed as above.

tobias....@googlemail.com

Sep 22, 2017, 11:48:03 AM9/22/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Thanks for your quick reply.
Step 1-4 is exactly what I did.
Still it says that there is no Config file to be installed if I drag n drop the .tblk file to the Tunnelblick icon.
I copied all to the Desktop and just drag n drop that one file but it still doesn't work out.
It always says "there is no Open VPN config file to run".
I guess at least it should be possible to insert the config?
thanks for your help.

Tunnelblick developer

Sep 22, 2017, 11:56:27 AM9/22/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Perhaps there was a problem copying from the source computer, or a problem with ownership or permissions.

Can you get a listing of one .tblk in Terminal? Try the following:

ls -l -R   path-to-the-.tblk