Disconnect because another device connects to same VPN

Koni R.

Jul 29, 2016, 4:06:48 AM7/29/16
to tunnelblick-discuss
Hi there,

I want to use "Tunnelblick" on my Mac and in the same time on the same network "openVPN Connect" on my iOS device.
Tunnelblick disconnects as soon my iOS device uses the VPN.

I learned here that that Tunnelblick is programmed that it disconnects if another device uses the same VPN credentials on the same network.

My VPN provider does allow me to have 2 simultaneous connection on multiple devices, but I only have 1 username and password.

How can I setup my VPN connections to make this work?

Thanks for any help!

Tunnelblick developer

Jul 29, 2016, 7:20:50 AM7/29/16
to tunnelblick-discuss
If you are referring to this:
  • Another computer on your network is attempting to connect to the VPN using the same credentials.
It isn't something that Tunnelblick does; it is something that your OpenVPN configuration or your VPN service provider's server is set to do.

This is usuaully not caused by both devices using the same username/password, but by both devices using the same certificate or keys.

You need to talk to your VPN provider.

Koni R.

Jul 29, 2016, 7:34:46 AM7/29/16
to tunnelblick-discuss
Thank you for your fast reply.

Okay I will talk to my provider about this. Hope they can find a solution for this.

Is there a way I can check if the profile I installed on my iOS device is the same certificate or key on my Mac?

Tunnelblick developer

Jul 29, 2016, 8:08:36 AM7/29/16
to tunnelblick-discuss
Comparing the certificates/keys in your iOS profile and those on your Mac is too hard to describe because it depends on exactly how they are structured. You'll have to talk to your VPN service provider.