Tunnelblick loses menu bar position after upgrade

vkor...@4tifier.com

Aug 28, 2017, 6:44:53 AM8/28/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Hi,

As you know, Sierra introduced drag and drop of icons in menu bar.

The problem is once Tunnelblick updates itself, it loses the icon's position the user had set. Other apps don't act like this on updates (e.g. 1password).

Tunnelblick developer

Aug 28, 2017, 8:09:30 AM8/28/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Thanks for reporting this.

I can reproduce the problem: if I update using the built-in update mechanism (which uses a .zip file), the position is lost. However, if I "update manually" by installing using a downloaded .dmg or a downloaded .zip, the position is preserved -- even though the binaries that end up in /Applications are bit-for-bit identical (and are signed).

But it may take a while to fix. It appears to be a problem with Sparkle Updater (the software we use for updates). It's a lot of work to incorporate our changes into a new version of Sparkle (assuming that a new version fixes the problem) because we modify it quite a bit to increase security (by requiring signed appcasts, for example).