Tunnelblick branded version

Антон Демидов

May 31, 2017, 9:37:07 AM5/31/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Hello all,
I'm trying to build branded Tunnelblick version according to: https://github.com/Tunnelblick/Tunnelblick/blob/master/Building%20Tunnelblick%20from%20Source%20Code.markdown

I'm faced with icons problem - when I'm changin tunnelblick_package.icns to new with the same name and resolution - build is OK, but app doesn't contain icon at all. In the same time - tunnelblick.icns changed sucesfully.

Can you advice, or maybe you have some new instruction?

Thanks in advance
Message has been deleted

Tunnelblick developer

May 31, 2017, 9:53:30 AM5/31/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
If I understand you correctly, you are replacing the tunnelblick/tunnelblick_package.icns file in your source code with a file (with the same "tunnelblick_package.icns" name) that has different artwork, but after you build from your source code, there is no file named "tunnelblick_package.icns" in <rebranded>.app/Contents/Resources.

The name is all lower case, so the global searching/replacing that is done as part of the rebranding process should not affect it because the global searching/replacing is done only on the capitalized "Tunnelblick", and not on the lower-case "tunnelblick".

The only things I can think of are:
  • You deleted "tunnelblick_package.icns" and your replacement file does not have that exact same name; or

  • You did the search/replace without specifying "match case" (or whatever it is called), but I think that would cause many other problems.

Антон Демидов

May 31, 2017, 10:20:32 AM5/31/17
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for quick response.
Yes, I replaced tunnelblick/tunnelblick_package.icns with a file with difference artwork, and it in <rebranded>.app/Contents.
But in <rebranded>.app icon looks like:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vkoew7vt5llx54n/Screenshot%202017-05-31%2017.18.55.png?dl=0

Is this manual actual (https://tunnelblick.net/cRebranding.html)?

Tunnelblick developer

May 31, 2017, 10:37:35 AM5/31/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Ah, so the file is there, but macOS doesn't show that artwork. That could be one of a several things:
  • The Info.plist in <rebranded>.app/Contents doesn't refer to the artwork with the proper name. That shouldn't happen unless you manually edited the Info.plist. (That should not be necessary for rebranding; the global searching/replacing should make any changes to Info.plist that are necessary.) The Info.plist should include the following:
<array>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleTypeExtensions</key>
<array>
<string>tblk</string>
</array>
<key>CFBundleTypeIconFile</key>
<string>tunnelblick_package.icns</string>
<key>CFBundleTypeName</key>
<string>REBRANDED NAME VPN Configuration</string>
<key>CFBundleTypeRole</key>
<string>Editor</string>
<key>LSTypeIsPackage</key>
<true/>
<key>NSPersistentStoreTypeKey</key>
<string>Binary</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleTypeExtensions</key>
<array>
<string>ovpn</string>
</array>
<key>CFBundleTypeIconFile</key>
<string>tunnelblick_package.icns</string>
<key>CFBundleTypeName</key>
<string>OpenVPN Configuration</string>
<key>CFBundleTypeRole</key>
<string>Editor</string>
<key>LSTypeIsPackage</key>
<true/>
<key>NSPersistentStoreTypeKey</key>
<string>Binary</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleTypeExtensions</key>
<array>
<string>conf</string>
</array>
<key>CFBundleTypeIconFile</key>
<string>tunnelblick_package.icns</string>
<key>CFBundleTypeName</key>
<string>OpenVPN Configuration</string>
<key>CFBundleTypeRole</key>
<string>Editor</string>
<key>LSTypeIsPackage</key>
<true/>
<key>NSPersistentStoreTypeKey</key>
<string>Binary</string>
</dict>
</array>

  • Your tunnelblick_package.icns is malformed. You could download a fresh copy of Tunnelblick (to your desktop, say) replace the tunnelblick_package.icns in that with your version, install the modified version of Tunnelblick (ignoring the warning about it being corrupted), and see what the icon for packages looks like.

  • I don't know exactly what macOS does when two applications "claim" the same file extension; perhaps that is the problem.

  • Perhaps your "Launch Services" database is corrupted (not uncommon). I'm not sure that Launch Services has to do with the way the icon is displayed, but it might.
In any case, I also wonder if macOS is using a cached copy of tunnelblick_package.icns. That could cause some weird problems with the way the image is shown. You might see what happens after doing a "Safe boot" of macOS.

Антон Демидов

May 31, 2017, 10:56:53 AM5/31/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Thanks for your help. Will do it in a few days and update the topic