General VPN security question

colleg...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2014, 12:38:04 AM4/19/14
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
I purchased a subscription to a commercial VPN provider (though not one of the largest).  Now I know that when I'm connected to a VPN via TunnelBlick, people on my local network cannot see my traffic or even login info for insecure websites.

I was wondering if others on my VPN connection can see what I'm doing/see any of login credentials?  So other customers of the VPN provider that are actually connected to the same VPN connection I'm using as well?

Thanks.

jkbull...gmail.com

Apr 19, 2014, 6:04:43 AM4/19/14
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, colleg...@gmail.com
It depends on the way that the VPN is set up, which is controlled by your VPN Service Provider. Most VPNs are set up to not allow traffic between clients, but you will have to talk to your provider to find out what they do.

colleg...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2014, 1:51:16 PM4/19/14
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, colleg...@gmail.com
If I can see other computers how up in the Finder (window sidebars) does that mean the VPN allows traffic between clients?

Thanks for your help.

jkbull...gmail.com

Apr 19, 2014, 1:54:19 PM4/19/14
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, colleg...@gmail.com
I assume that does mean that at least some traffic is allowed between clients, or the VPN is configured to only send certain traffic via the VPN, and the rest goes onto the local network to which your computer is connected.

You will have to talk to your VPN service provider about this.

colleg...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2014, 1:58:40 PM4/19/14
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, colleg...@gmail.com
I don't think it's my local area network.  No one else is on my local area network - and I only have one computer.

I will reach out to my VPN because this sounds like a serious security issue.

Thank you.