Menubar icon has gone missing

Barry Kaplan

Jan 30, 2014, 2:13:09 AM1/30/14
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
Is see that issue has been fixed across several recent releases, but I am still seeing this on OSX 10.9 and TB3.4beta20.

It appears as if the space for the icon is there, but its not visible nor clickable.

jkbull...gmail.com

Jan 30, 2014, 5:10:41 AM1/30/14
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, mem...@gmail.com
Thanks for your report. Some questions for you:

Is this when you have quit Tunnelblick, and the problem is that OS X has left the space for the Tunnelblick icon empty instead of moving the other icons to fill in the space? Or that you are running Tunnelblick and there is a space for the icon, but it is empty and nothing happens when you click the space? (You can check if Tunnelblick is running by using /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.)

What version of OS X 9 do you have (10.9 or 10.9.1)?

Do you have 'Place next to Spotlight icon' checked on the 'Icon' section of Tunnelblick's 'Appearance' panel?

Do you have multiple displays?

If so, do you have  'Displays have separate spaces' checked in the Mission Control preferences?

Barry Kaplan

Feb 1, 2014, 1:24:03 AM2/1/14
to jkbull...gmail.com, tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
This happens when TB is running, I start it at login and leave it running always. But I do connect/disconnect to different vpns.

OSX is 10.9.1

I do have "place next to spotlight icon" checked

When I first reported this I did not have multiple displays. But yesterday I setup a second display. After that the TB icon was still there but it moved in with the rest of the crowd (away from the spotlight icon)

I do have "displays have separate spaces" checked. (Did not know about. I'm new to OSX coming from linux.)

thanks!!
30 January 2014 3:40 pm

jkbull...gmail.com

Feb 1, 2014, 6:05:00 AM2/1/14
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, mem...@gmail.com
Thanks for responding. I will look into it. I would appreciate any other reports of problems from you or anyone else.

Here's the story: In Mavericks, the "place next to spotlight icon" feature no longer works if you have multiple displays on Mavericks if "Displays have separate Spaces" is checked.That's because the underlying non-public system call that Tunnelblick uses to perform that function no longer works reliably under those circumstances. ("Displays have separate Spaces" is new with Mavericks and is checked by default.)

So if you have multiple displays and are running Mavericks and have "displays have separate Spaces" checked, Tunnelblick will automatically un-check and disable the "place next to spotlight icon" checkbox, and the Tunnelblick icon will appear in the "normal for all other programs" position in the menu/status bar: to the left of all other icons at the time the icon is loaded.

Since you were having the "disappearing icon" problem before you had multiple displays, there is still a Tunnelblick problem in this area that needs to be fixed; I will look into it. I would appreciate anyone else confirming that this is a problem for them with a single display. I would especially like to hear about any sequence of actions that can reproduce the problem.

everyman

Feb 12, 2014, 2:36:17 PM2/12/14
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
I'm seeing some anomalies with the menubar icon since moving to Mavericks and Tunnelblick 3.4beta (build 3741 at the moment).

Sometimes, but not always, the icon appears all the way to the right --- right of the Notification Center, rather than right of the Spotlight.  Sometimes, more rarely, it does not appear at all.

It seems to happen upon first launch --- that is, the first Tunnelblick launch of a particular login session.  If I quit and re-launch, the icon inserts itself where it should.

This isn't a major issue for me, since I rarely use the Notification Center and refer to the Tunnelblick menubar icon ONLY to remind me that I am (or am not) connected to a VPN.  That said, it's clearly a bug.  Otherwise, the beta has been very solid for me, both on the client and the server side.  Once in a great while, it'll get into a state where I must quit the client Tunnelblick and kill OpenVPN processes; again, this is a minor annoyance and most likely due to the workstation going to sleep while a session was open, then not reconnecting properly.

jkbull...gmail.com

Feb 12, 2014, 3:54:06 PM2/12/14
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, d...@yogalabsllc.com
Thanks for your reports.

I can also sometimes get the Tunnelblick icon to appear to the right of the Notification Center but it always appears.

You mentioned Tunnelblick will sometimes
"get into a state where I must quit the client Tunnelblick and kill OpenVPN processes"
and think it may have something to do with the computer sleeping then waking up. Can you describe more specifically what is happening:
  • Why do you need to quit the client and kill OpenVPN -- is the configuration "stuck" trying to connect or disconnect and you are unable to do anything else?
  • Does this happen only when you are connected to a VPN when the computer goes to sleep?
  • Do you have the configuration set to disconnect/reconnect the VPN on sleep/wake?
  • Do you have any trouble disconnecting and reconnecting manually?
Thanks again.

Daniel B Dobkin

Feb 12, 2014, 4:27:49 PM2/12/14
to jkbull...gmail.com, tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
  • Why do you need to quit the client and kill OpenVPN -- is the configuration "stuck" trying to connect or disconnect and you are unable to do anything else?
"Stuck" trying to connect.  Now that I think about it some more, I think it is probably a DNS issue: Trying to look up the remote host, but name service is supposed to come from the VPN (192.168.xx.20).  That's a bit of a race condition.

  • Does this happen only when you are connected to a VPN when the computer goes to sleep?
As far as I know, yes.
  • Do you have the configuration set to disconnect/reconnect the VPN on sleep/wake?
Yes; it's not always clear to me which I really want at any given moment.  Sometimes I only need the VPN for a few minutes, other times it can be hours.

  • Do you have any trouble disconnecting and reconnecting manually?
Under the conditions described, yes.  Between killing Tunnelblick and "sudo ifconfig en0 down; ifconfig en0 up" everything is restored to good working order.  As I said, it falls into the category of minor annoyances.  (A few days ago I noticed that my system disk, which should have had about 200GB free, was down to 4GB.  Something ran away with syslog and filled it up with over 150GB of console messages.  THAT is a major annoyance.)

jsben...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2016, 3:55:50 PM6/6/16
to tunnelblick-discuss
It is a curious issue that also on older OS's occurs. Running an older iMac with 10.6.8. Same issue: at startup of Tunnelblick icon is there, but then disappears after I come back from screensaver.

jkbull...gmail.com

Jun 6, 2016, 4:20:01 PM6/6/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, jsben...@gmail.com

jan.schl...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2016, 2:37:35 PM6/16/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, mem...@gmail.com
I am curious if there has been any progress with this issue?
I am having the same problem on OS X El Capitan (10.11.5) and Tunnelblick 3.6.3 (build 4560)
The Icon is placed right left of the Spotlight magnifying glass.

It doesn't happen all the times but maybe once or twice a month, with daily usage of the Mini.
Since upgrading to El Capitan I'm also experiencing that Tunnelblick dies just after having automatically started up. The Tunnel icon is visible for 4-5 seconds and then dies/disappears.

When the icon is going missing, as first described, there's an inactive empty space in its place. When Tunnelblick dies after autostart the space the icon occupied is being reclaimed.

Best regards
Jan

jkbull...gmail.com

Jun 16, 2016, 2:47:05 PM6/16/16