Re: [tunnelblick-discuss] Could not start OpenVPN (openvpnstart returned with status #226)

Jonathan K. Bullard

May 22, 2013, 9:12:13 PM5/22/13
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, umol...@gmail.com

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 9:10 PM, <umol...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am running Tunnelblick 3.3beta52 (build 3352)  -  OpenVPN 2.2.1 on iOS 10.8.3.  Before the update everything was working fine.  After the update I started getting the following error message: "Tunnelblick was unable to start OpenVPN to connect USA. For details, see the log in the VPN Details… window".  I have uninstalled and reinstalled tunnelblick as well as re-downloaded and installed my configuration files and am still receiving the same error.  Here is a copy of the log:

2013-05-23 04:07:20 *Tunnelblick: OS X 10.8.3; Tunnelblick 3.3beta52 (build 3352)

2013-05-23 04:07:20 *Tunnelblick: Attempting connection with USA; Set nameserver = 1; monitoring connection

2013-05-23 04:07:20 *Tunnelblick: openvpnstart start USA.tblk 1337 1 0 3 0 305 -atADGNWradsgnw

2013-05-23 04:07:26 *Tunnelblick:

Could not start OpenVPN (openvpnstart returned with status #226)

Contents of the openvpnstart log:

*Tunnelblick: openvpnstart log:

     stderr from kextload: /Applications/Tunnelblick.app/Contents/Resources/tun.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) kext (kmod) start/stop routine failed; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

     stderr from kextload: /Applications/Tunnelblick.app/Contents/Resources/tun.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) kext (kmod) start/stop routine failed; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

     stderr from kextload: /Applications/Tunnelblick.app/Contents/Resources/tun.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) kext (kmod) start/stop routine failed; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

     stderr from kextload: /Applications/Tunnelblick.app/Contents/Resources/tun.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) kext (kmod) start/stop routine failed; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

     stderr from kextload: /Applications/Tunnelblick.app/Contents/Resources/tun.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) kext (kmod) start/stop routine failed; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

     Error: Unable to load net.tunnelblick.tun and/or net.tunnelblick.tap kexts in 5 tries. Status = 71

Anyone have any ideas?

sina...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2014, 3:46:31 AM8/6/14
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, umol...@gmail.com
Can confirm this fixes the issue, I had to remove the

sudo kextunload -b com.spotflux.Spotflux.tun

which fixed the tunnelblick openvpn issue and various other issues (e.g. battle.net and steam not connecting properly)

philipg...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2014, 5:31:50 AM9/16/14
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, umol...@gmail.com, sina...@gmail.com
I had the same problem, but "sudo kextunload -b com.spotflux.Spotflux.tun" didn't fix the problem. According to the instructions at An OpenVPN log entry says "Tunnelblick: openvpnstart status #247: Error: Unable to load net.tunnelblick.tun and/or net.tunnelblick.tap kexts in 5 tries. Status = 71" I looked up kexts under "kextstat", but didn't find any of the suggested kexts (foo.tun, foo.tap, com.cisco.cscotun, com.viscosityvpn.Viscosity.tun, com.viscosityvpn.Viscosity.tap, com.pogoplug.xcetun), so there was nothing to remove with "kextunload".

What else could be the problem?

Thanks!

jkbull...gmail.com

Sep 16, 2014, 6:10:52 AM9/16/14
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, umol...@gmail.com, sina...@gmail.com, philipg...@gmail.com
Please follow the instructions at Read Before You Post.

philipg...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2014, 12:17:04 PM9/16/14
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, umol...@gmail.com, sina...@gmail.com, philipg...@gmail.com
Problem solved with

sudo kextunload -b com.anchorfree.tun

"com.anchorfree.tun" was not one of the tun-files given in the instructions to solve the problem, but could be found in the error log under "Non-Apple kexts that are loaded"

jkbull...gmail.com

Sep 16, 2014, 12:34:26 PM9/16/14
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, philipg...@gmail.com
Thanks for posting the resolution to your problem.

I have added com.anchorfree.tun to the list, and added a sentence clarifying that any kext with "tun" or "tap" in its name may be problematic. I also added a list of common locations that could contain instructions to load kexts when the computer starts or you log in.

I am going to consider adding a check when Tunnelblick launches that warns about such kexts, with instructions on how to unload them.

ste...@valdebrain.com

May 1, 2015, 11:09:09 PM5/1/15
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, umol...@gmail.com

For me things broke after I installed wireshark. Running these two lines fixed the problem for me.

sudo kextunload -b com.viscosityvpn.Viscosity.tap
sudo kextunload -b com.viscosityvpn.Viscosity.tun

vinicius...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2015, 10:32:55 PM10/21/15
to tunnelblick-discuss, philipg...@gmail.com
I had installed tuntap to use EDGE n2n, the question is instead of warning like you said, why you can't handle the simultaneous use?
Because right now, if I have tun tap, I can use EDGE alone.
But if I have tunnelblick , I can start EDGE later ( but tunnelblick should be active )
If tunnelblick is inactive then EDGE also don't work.
But if I have tun tap and EDGE always work, tunnelblick NEVER works.
So maybe we could handle both, or support N2N in tunnelblick :-)

Can you explain if it's possible? Or if I am totally wrong?

My best regards,
Vinicius

jkbull...gmail.com

Oct 21, 2015, 10:52:03 PM10/21/15
to tunnelblick-discuss, philipg...@gmail.com, vinicius...@gmail.com
OS X doesn't work when more than one tun kext is loaded, and it doesn't work when more than one tap kext is loaded. Tunnelblick and EDGE n2n apparently require different tun kexts and different tap kexts, so they can't "share" them.

Tunnelblick attempts to minimize problems by only loading its tun kext when needed (which is almost never, even for a tun connection; but it depends on the OpenVPN options you are using). And it only loads its tap kext when you make a tap connection. Tunnelblick unloads the kexts when the VPN is disconnected.

I'm not familiar with EDGE n2n, but from what you say it requires tun/tap. I don't know why (or if) it requires both a tun kext and a tap kext. If it requires only tap, then you should only load EDGE n2n's tap kext, and set up your OpenVPN configurations to use a tun connection. If Edge n2n requires tun, then load EDGE n2n's tun kext, and set up your OpenVPN VPN to use a tap connection. Either way, you would be able to use both EDGE n2n and OpenVPN at the same time, one using tap and the other using tun.

You might also want to look at the "Scripts to Unload Cisco Tun Kext" on the User Contributed Section of the Downloads page. You could presumably modify it to work with the EDGE n2n kexts.

jkbull...gmail.com

Oct 22, 2015, 6:33:31 AM10/22/15
to tunnelblick-discuss, vinicius...@gmail.com
(I'm putting this back on the mailing list instead of as private emails.)

If EDGE n2n can use Tunnelblick's kexts, you could try the following:
  1. Manually set up OS X to load Tunnelblick's tap kext (or tun kext, or both),
    and
  2. Set Tunnelblick to "Never load tun driver" or "Never load tap driver".
To do #1, you could create a shell script that loads the tun (or tap, or both) kexts using the kextload command a .plist. You could put a .plist that launches the script in /Library/LaunchDaemons so it is executed when OS X starts. Or I think you could just copy the kext(s) into /Library/Extensions and it/they will be loaded automatically when OS X starts up. Tunnelblick contains several of each type of kext because different versions of OS X require different kexts. For recent versions of OS X, use the "tap-signed" and "tun-signed" kexts in /Applications/Tunnelblick.app/Contents/Resources.

To do #2, select all of your configurations on the left side of Tunnelblick's "VPN Details" window, then click the "Advanced" button and select "Never load tun driver" and/or "Never load tap driver" from the drop-down lists in the middle of the window.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 6:09 AM, <> wrote:
EDGE could use same tun/tap of tunnelblick, the issue is that tunnelblick tap it's only available while tunnelblick is connecting or connected, in other states it's OFF so EDGE could not reuse.
Can we change tun/tap to be always load in tunnelblick in some way, can I do this?

EDGE don't require both, but it requires a external one, could be same of tunnelblick or http://tuntaposx.sourceforge.net/download.xhtml

Do you think it's possible to keep tunnelblick TAP or TUN loaded?

Best regards,
Vinicius

Yakkoo

Oct 22, 2015, 6:48:05 AM10/22/15
to jkbull...gmail.com, tunnelblick-discuss
I will test and send feedback.
If it works maybe this could be an install option or configuration like you says about the warning

Regards
Vinicius