Tunnelblick crashed, internet slowed down

dmytr...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2018, 6:22:55 AM4/26/18
to tunnelblick-discuss
Hey!

Thanks for your product, I was using it successfully for 3 days under High Sierra 10.13.3.
But then Tunnelblick crashed and I couldn't get it up (sorry, I dont remember the exact error, but I remember that error pop-up jumped out again and again until I killed the process in Activity Monitor).
So, I uninstalled it and tried to install again, but I'm getting error message 'The installation or repair took too long or failed.'
Also, as a huge side effect I noticed that just after Tunnelblick crashed my wireless connection stuck (my mate has the same macbook in the same network and his Internet is OK, so it's definitely not the router problem).
Then I ran system-repair, cleared cache, changed network location to custom, replaced dns to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4., loaded in safe mode and few sites work now (for example, this google group). But browser loads every page for a pretty long time with 'resolving host' message (youtube videos don't work at all, for example). At the same time speedtest.net shows normal speed as it has to be. Also all apps which need Internet connection refuse to work (e.g. Skype or Slack).
Could you please provide some details about network changes that Tunnelblick performs on installation? I would be really happy to get it in the state before installation when everything worked well.

Thanks!
Regards, Dmytry

Tunnelblick developer

Apr 26, 2018, 7:01:21 AM4/26/18
to tunnelblick-discuss
I'm sorry Tunnelblick is giving you such problems. Here's what I can tell you from the info you provided:

(1) The crash: You probably had a small window about "Signal 13". That problem affects a small number of High Sierra users and has been fixed in the latest beta version of Tunnelblick. You can download it from the Tunnelblick Downloads page.

(2) "Installation took too long or failed": Be sure to download a disk image, mount the image, and double-click the Tunnelblick icon to install. (As noted above, you should download the latest beta version.) If the problem happens again, uninstall Tunnelblick using the instructions at Uninstalling Tunnelblick first, then try to install.

(3) Network state: What Tunnelblick does to the network (and normally undoes) depends completely on your OpenVPN configuration and the options that were pushed from the OpenVPN server. Typically, though, it changes routing, DNS server addresses and the domain.

The routing changes are easily fixed: while operating macOS normally, unplug Ethernet and plug it back in, and turn Wi-Fi off and back on.

The changes to DNS servers (and search domain, domain, WINs server addresses, NetBIOS name, and Workgroup) are more difficult to undo. It _may_ be sufficient to turn DHCP off and then back on again in System Preferences > Network. But you may need to remove settings individually in System Preferences > Network > Advanced. You should then turn DHCP off and back on again.

If you ever set any configuration to connect "When computer starts", that could be another problem, especially if you didn't uninstall using the Uninstaller (for example, if you just move the application from /Applications to the Trash). Uninstalling using the instructions as described above should fix that.

As a next-to-last resort, my understanding (but I've never tried it) is that you can use the "–" button to delete the Wi-Fi and/or Ethernet interfaces in System Preferences > Network and then recreate them.

I'm not sure if reinstalling macOS will fix the problem. (Of course a clean install will, but that's a really drastic step.)

(As a last resort, you can restore your system from a backup if you have one. But that's probably a pain because you don't want to lose the days of work you've done since the crash.)

(Another thought: did you change DNS on both the Wi-Fi and Ethernet interfaces – and any others on your computer?)