DNSCrypt

Nello Lucchesi

May 28, 2015, 4:51:35 PM5/28/15
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
Are there known incompatibilities between Tunnelblick and DNSCrypt?

- nello

jkbull...gmail.com

May 28, 2015, 5:23:41 PM5/28/15
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, ne...@octobergroup.com
It's hard to tell from the website exactly what it does and how, but if it is acts as a local DNS server that queries OpenDNS DNS servers and encrypts everything going to/from them (my assumption), it would probably work with Tunnelblick, More to the point, it would work with OpenVPN; Tunnelblick probably doesn't have anything to do with it. The only catch I can think of is that flushing the DNS cache wouldn't flush the DNSCrypt cache (if there is one).

However, the only thing it accomplishes (assuming you are using a VPN for all traffic) is to hide your DNS queries and responses from your VPN server (they are already hidden from everyone else because they go through the VPN). If you trust your VPN server that shouldn't be necessary; if you don't trust your VPN server you have bigger problems.

Nello Lucchesi

May 28, 2015, 7:56:56 PM5/28/15
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, ne...@octobergroup.com
Yes, you are correct that it is unnecessary/redundant when using a VPN.

I asked the question because I use DNSCrypt when I'm NOT using a VPN and I wanted to make sure that it wouldn't interfere with Tunnelblick when I do fire up a VPN connection.

Thank you.

- nello