Tunnelblick 3.3 in a PowerPC computer

Molina-Bulla Harold

Mar 29, 2012, 5:00:05 PM3/29/12
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am trying to execute Tunnelblick 3.3beta02 in a PowerPC computer (with Leopard with all the patches installed).

But the application freeze in the startup (just show the startup window). To stop it I had to send kill signal to the process.

I can not generate the log file in order to provide more to this discussion group.

I provide the just lines in the /var/log/system.log file related to Tunnelblick:

Mar 29 20:13:29 sycorax Tunnelblick[5589]: Warning: Preferences contain unknown preference 'maximumLogSize'
Mar 29 20:13:29 sycorax Tunnelblick[5589]: CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary.
Mar 29 20:13:31: --- last message repeated 11 times ---
Mar 29 20:13:31 sycorax Tunnelblick[5589]: Setting program update feedURL to http://tunnelblick.net/appcast.rss
Mar 29 20:13:31 sycorax Tunnelblick[5589]: *** -[NSAllDescendantPathsEnumerator skipDescendants]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x1f14e0
Mar 29 20:14:01: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Mar 29 20:16:16 sycorax com.apple.launchd[253] ([0x0-0x31bb1b8].net.tunnelblick.tunnelblick[5589]): Exited: Killed
Mar 29 20:16:20 sycorax Tunnelblick[5627]: Warning: Preferences contain unknown preference 'maximumLogSize'
Mar 29 20:16:20 sycorax Tunnelblick[5627]: CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary.
Mar 29 20:16:20: --- last message repeated 11 times ---
Mar 29 20:16:20 sycorax Tunnelblick[5627]: Setting program update feedURL to http://tunnelblick.net/appcast.rss
Mar 29 20:17:02 sycorax com.apple.launchd[253] ([0x0-0x31bc1b9].net.tunnelblick.tunnelblick[5627]): Exited: Killed
Mar 29 20:17:35 sycorax Tunnelblick[5636]: Warning: Preferences contain unknown preference 'maximumLogSize'
Mar 29 20:17:35 sycorax Tunnelblick[5636]: CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary.
Mar 29 20:17:37: --- last message repeated 11 times ---
Mar 29 20:17:37 sycorax Tunnelblick[5636]: Setting program update feedURL to http://tunnelblick.net/appcast.rss
Mar 29 20:18:05: --- last message repeated 3 times ---
Mar 29 20:18:05 sycorax Tunnelblick[5643]: Warning: Preferences contain unknown preference 'maximumLogSize'
Mar 29 20:18:05 sycorax Tunnelblick[5643]: CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary.
Mar 29 20:18:06: --- last message repeated 11 times ---
Mar 29 20:18:06 sycorax Tunnelblick[5643]: Setting program update feedURL to http://tunnelblick.net/appcast.rss
Mar 29 20:18:40: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Mar 29 20:27:45 sycorax com.apple.launchd[253] ([0x0-0x31be1bb].net.tunnelblick.tunnelblick[5643]): Exited: Killed

Any idea how to generate more useful debug info?

Thanks in advance.

H.Molina.

P.S: I use the same configuration files in a Tunnelblick 3.2.3 with PowerPC with Leopard and Tunnelblick 3.3 in an Intel computer with Lion (64bits) and SnowLeopard (32 bits).

jkbull...gmail.com

Mar 29, 2012, 5:55:07 PM3/29/12
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
It doesn't start up properly, so there's no log yet, and the configuration file is irrelevant.

There seems to be something wrong with the Tunnelblick preferences file. PowerPC and Leopard shouldn't be a problem.

Try deleting /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Preferences/net.tunnelblick.tunnelblick.plist

If that doesn't help, try downloading Tunnelblick again and installing by double-clicking the Tunnelblick icon in the Window that appears after you double-click the disk image.

This is assuming you aren't using a "Deployed" version of Tunnelblick. If you are, there may be a file named "forced-preferences.plist" in /Applications/Tunnelblick.app/Contents/Resources/Deploy. That file may be the problem. If it exists (actually, if the Deploy folder exists), you may have to contact whoever created the Deployed version of Tunnelblick.

Molina-Bulla Harold

Mar 29, 2012, 6:34:04 PM3/29/12
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks for your help, but unfortunately it does not work :-|. I test both indications: Delete the preference files and reinstalling the application, (previous deleting the /Applications version).

I move to other directory the configurations too, reinstall the application, and install just one of the configurations.

I download the distribution file from the official project webpage, and the Deploy directory does not exists.

Thanks in advance for any other idea or debugging way to get more information.

H.Molina

Harold Molina-Bulla Ph.D.

jkbull...gmail.com

Mar 29, 2012, 9:53:54 PM3/29/12
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
Very odd. Searching  for "Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary" led me to discussions about problems with the App Store, which wasn't much help. But it got me to thinking.

Here are three things to try:
  • Restart your computer.
  • Turn off your computer, then do a "Safe boot" (hold the shift key down while starting up, until the spinning gear appears. Just restart normally after the safe boot; you don't need to log in.
  • Try to run Tunnelblick in a  freshly-created user account. Try with an administrator account first, but if you have been using a non-admin account, try it with a freshly-created non-admin user account, too.

On Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:34:04 PM UTC-4, hmolina wrote:
Hi,

Harold Molina-Bulla Ph.D.

jkbull...gmail.com

Mar 29, 2012, 10:03:56 PM3/29/12
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
I just found something else. It could be a bad translations file within Tunnelblick. Are you using English? If not, what language are you using? Try using English and see if that helps.

(By "using", I mean the language at the top of the list in System Preferences : Language & Text -- or whatever it is called on Leopard.)

Molina-Bulla Harold

Mar 30, 2012, 8:48:10 AM3/30/12
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Yes, I am using english in the O.S.

About reboot in safe mode and all other instructions, I will try this afternoon.

Thanks for your help.

H.Molina

P.S: I will try to use DTrace in order to get where the application freeze. If I get useful info, I will attach them.

H.Molina

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tunnelblick-discuss/-/p_uPeVndJ5QJ.