Don't use VPN as gateway for all internet? Ignore routes pushed by server?

Max Farrar

Nov 16, 2016, 4:02:36 PM11/16/16
to tunnelblick-discuss
For some reason, TunnelBlick started killing my internet entirely when I try to connect via OpenVPN to my remote NAS. After a lot of troubleshooting, it seems TunnelBlick is assuming I want to use the OpenVPN connection for all internet. I couldn't figure out a way to stop this from happening, except for adding these to the configuration:

route 0.0.0.0 192.0.0.0 net_gateway
route 64.0.0.0 192.0.0.0 net_gateway
route 128.0.0.0 192.0.0.0 net_gateway
route 192.0.0.0 192.0.0.0 net_gateway

However, is there a way to *only* use the specific IP of the NAS for the VPN connection? I ask because enabling my PrivateInternetAccess causes my internet to die, since I believe it's reading the PIA IP rather than the local network IP, and therefore doesn't follow the custom gateway routing.

Tunnelblick developer

Nov 16, 2016, 4:15:57 PM11/16/16
to tunnelblick-discuss
Make sure that "Route all IPv4 traffic through the VPN" is NOT checked for the configuration.

If the problem still happens, then please post the diagnostic data (see Read Before You Post).

Max Farrar

Nov 16, 2016, 4:23:28 PM11/16/16
to tunnelblick-discuss
It's not checked.

Diagnostics attached.

log tunnelblick.rtf

Tunnelblick developer

Nov 16, 2016, 4:29:53 PM11/16/16
to tunnelblick-discuss
The VPN server is "pushing" the "redirect-gateway def1" option, which is what is causing everything to be routed through the VPN.

There is nothing you (or Tunnelblick) can do can override this. Talk to your VPN service provider, PrivateInternetAccess.