No file at path when importing .ovpn

buleko...@gmail.com

Sep 7, 2016, 5:10:38 AM9/7/16
to tunnelblick-discuss
Please, help, I'm trying to import .ovpn file from my company (in Windows Open VPN this file importing just fine), but all I got is error: No file at path

2016-09-07 08:04:12 Tunnelblick[1691] commandOptionsStatusForOpenvpnConfigurationAtPath: No file at path /Users/ibulekov/Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick/Configurations/Logrocon.ovpn
2016-09-07 08:04:12 Tunnelblick[1691] commandOptionsStatusForOpenvpnConfigurationAtPath:forTblk: returned 'error occurred' for /Users/ibulekov/Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick/Configurations/profile.ovpn
2016-09-07 08:04:12 Tunnelblick[1691] error status 0 returned from commandOptionsInConfigurationsAtPaths:

2016-09-07 07:57:32 Tunnelblick[1691] commandOptionsStatusForOpenvpnConfigurationAtPath: No file at path /Users/ibulekov/Downloads/config/config/Logrocon.ovpn
2016-09-07 07:57:32 Tunnelblick[1691] commandOptionsStatusForOpenvpnConfigurationAtPath:forTblk: returned 'error occurred' for /Users/ibulekov/Downloads/config/config/profile.ovpn
2016-09-07 07:57:32 Tunnelblick[1691] error status 0 returned from commandOptionsInConfigurationsAtPaths:

All files like .key, .cert are with .ovpn files.

Tunnelblick developer

Sep 7, 2016, 5:31:06 AM9/7/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, buleko...@gmail.com
Is the import failing, or does this problem happen at some other time – for example, when you try to connect the configuration?

What are you doing (or what did you do) to import the configuration?

buleko...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2016, 5:03:44 AM9/9/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, buleko...@gmail.com
I just drag'n'drop my ovpn configuration file to tunnelblick icon in status bar (so, this is importing I think), then I see the error message, and then I go to log file and see this log.

Tunnelblick developer

Sep 9, 2016, 7:23:14 AM9/9/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, buleko...@gmail.com
(I forgot to apologize for the problem you're having. It must be very frustrating; I'm sorry this isn't working for you.)

Yes, drag'n'drop to the icon is the way to do it (and it means you are using the latest beta, which is also good).

This sort of problem can happen if the configuration file is not a valid UTF file. (I will fix the log message to indicate that.) A "UTF" file is a plain text file which can contain non-ASCII characters, but the non-ASCII characters must be encoded using "UTF".

The most likely cause is a corrupted or damaged file. (It shouldn't matter that it is from Windows; that should be OK.)

Here is a method which I think will "clean" the file:
  1. Open the configuration file in TextEdit.

  2. Click "Format", then "Make Plain Text" and confirm the conversion. (If 'Make Plain Text" is not available and "Make Rich Text" is available, ignore this step.)

  3. Click "Edit", then "Select All".

  4. Click "Edit", then "Cut".

  5. Click "Edit", then "Paste".

  6. Close the file.

  7. Drag'n'drop the file to the Tunnelblick icon in the menu bar.

If that doesn't work, please do the following:
  1. Create a new folder named "XYZ" on your Desktop.

  2. Copy one .ovpn configuration file and any key, certificate, and other files needed by that configuration file in that folder. (If the files are in folders, keep them in folders.)

  3. Post the output from running the following command in Terminal:
    ls -l -R ~/Desktop/XYZ

  4. Drag'n'drop the .ovpn file from the XYZ folder onto the Tunnelblick icon in the menu bar.

  5. Post the output from the Console log from instruction #4. Please be sure to include all the output; usually there is more output than you posted originally. (But that could be due to whatever error is causing the problem.)

buleko...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2016, 7:47:58 AM9/9/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, buleko...@gmail.com
Thanks a lot!! You were right - it's all about encoding (because file was from windows with cyrillic comments in it), after I change encoding everything imports and connects properly! Thanks!

Tunnelblick developer

Sep 9, 2016, 8:27:58 AM9/9/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, buleko...@gmail.com
OK, thank you for letting us know.

Tunnelblick should be able to handle Unicode files. But now I realize that if the file was encoded in UTF-16, Tunnelblick would have the problem you encountered, because Tunnelblick assumes files are encode in UTF-8. (Usually configuration files are downloaded from the Internet and are encoded in UTF-8 and work fine.)

You may have the same problem with the key, certificate, and other files, too. Tunnelblick assumes UTF-8 for all text files (but not for binary files, of course).

I will look into fixing this and post here when/if I have fixed it.