Auto-install configurations

Антон Демидов

Jul 12, 2017, 4:13:08 AM7/12/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Hello all
I'm creating auto-install configs according to https://tunnelblick.net/cAutoInstall.html.
I've created *.dmg file with Tunnelblick.app and .auto-install folder with configurations. The main problem is: when I mounted dmg to OS X and open tunnelblick from it - it will install Tunnelblick to Applications and confugurations.
But if I drug'n'drop Tunnelblick.app to Applications directly from mounted dmg - configuration won't install - it's just pure Tunnelblick.

So, is there a possibility to avoid install just Tunnelblick without configs?

Tunnelblick developer

Jul 12, 2017, 6:01:43 AM7/12/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
No, you can't install configurations by drag/drop of the application to /Applications using Finder because Finder knows nothing about the configurations. (Don't drag/drop the configurations to /Applications because they don't belong there (and it won't help).

The proper way to install Tunnelblick is to double-click it, not drag to /Applications. That's why our .dmg says "Double-click to begin" in several languages and doesn't have an alias to /Application.

Антон Демидов

Jul 12, 2017, 10:13:47 AM7/12/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
So, this is the only way to do it in proper way?
I found Packages.app that could create .pkg file and install it. But I don't know, if it will help

Tunnelblick developer

Jul 12, 2017, 10:28:08 AM7/12/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
I do not understand why you don't want to double-click the Tunnelblick icon. Can you describe what you want in more detail?

If you want to install via command line,

open /Volumes/Tunnelblick/Tunnelblick.app

will work because (according to the "open" man page), it is "just as if you had double-clicked" the icon. (This assumes that the .dmg has been mounted normally at that path.)

Note that if you make a package, you'd have to double-click it, too (depending on the browser and the browser's settings).

Антон Демидов

Jul 12, 2017, 11:05:41 AM7/12/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Because lots of users don't double clicking on it, but drug'n'drop to /Applications
Tested with my friends, most of them trying to drug'n'drop

Tunnelblick developer

Jul 12, 2017, 11:18:55 AM7/12/17
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
Try putting instructions in the .dmg that tells the user to double-click. Tunnelblick does that with a background image. The way that Tunnelblick creates the .dmg is described in Modifying the Tunnelblick Disk Image. That page hasn't been updated in years, so you might be able to skip the step that needs "Leopard". There are some third-party applications that help you construct .dmgs with images, if you prefer that.

[Edited to change "drag/drop" to "double-click" in the first line - 2017-07-12 114:21 UTC.]

Антон Демидов

Jul 13, 2017, 7:47:34 AM7/13/17
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update:
I've created dmg file with Disk Utility.app, and seems it won't work. When I open it on my Mac - everything is OK, it will trying to install configs from .auto-update
When I distributed it to other Mac - it just install Tunnelblick

I've checked md5 sum - it's the same in all place

Also tried dmgCreator.app - the same problem.

Tunnelblick developer

Jul 13, 2017, 9:06:50 AM7/13/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
(I assume you meant ".auto-install", not ".auto-update".)

Perhaps the disk image was created with incorrect ownership/permissions on something.

On the other mac (the one that only installs Tunnelblick itself but not the configurations), mount the .dmg, then look at the output of the following Terminal commands:

ls -l@e /Volumes/Tunnelblick
ls -l@eR /Volumes/Tunnelblick/.auto-install

and examine the ownership/permissions. (Or post the output here if you don't understand it.)

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 7:47:34 AM UTC-4, Антон Демидов wrote:
Thanks for the update:
I've created tmg file with Disk Utility.app, and seems it won't work. When I open it on my Mac - everything is OK, it will trying to install configs from .auto-update
When I distributed it to other Mac - it just install Tunnelblick

Антон Демидов

Jul 13, 2017, 9:19:10 AM7/13/17
to tunnelblick-discuss

ls -l@e /Volumes/Tunnelbl

total 0

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 vpn  staff  102 Jun 21 22:35 Tunnelblick.app

com.apple.FinderInfo 32

ls -l@eR /Volumes/Tunnelbl/.auto-install/

total 0

drwx------@ 4 vpn  staff  136 Jul 13 16:03 Configurations.tblk

com.apple.FinderInfo 32

/Volumes/Tunnelbl/.auto-install//Configurations.tblk:

total 0

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 vpn  staff  102 Jun  5 12:29 Amsterdam.tblk

com.apple.FinderInfo 32

/Volumes/Tunnelbl/.auto-install//Configurations.tblk/Amsterdam.tblk:

total 4

-rw-rw-rw-@ 1 vpn  staff  1927 Jun  5 09:23 Amsterdam.ovpn

com.apple.FinderInfo   32

Tunnelblick developer

Jul 13, 2017, 9:30:45 AM7/13/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
The problem may be these permissions:

ls -l@eR /Volumes/Tunnelbl/.auto-install/

total 0

drwx------@ 4 vpn  staff  136 Jul 13 16:03 Configurations.tblk

You need to set the permissions on "Configurations.tblk" to 755 before creating the .dmg:

chmod 755 path

(where path is the path to Configurations.tblk in the folder you are making the .dmg from).

Антон Демидов

Jul 13, 2017, 10:01:04 AM7/13/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
No luck
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9o2ypvfh253simx/Tunnelblick.dmg?dl=0

Tunnelblick developer

Jul 13, 2017, 10:14:43 AM7/13/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
It works for me:

Does the user see something like the above when the Tunnelblick icon is double-clicked -- including the "and install 1 Tunnelblick VPN Configurations"?

Антон Демидов

Jul 13, 2017, 10:24:23 AM7/13/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Nope:

at the same time on my Mac:

I don't really know where to dig :)

Антон Демидов

Jul 13, 2017, 11:24:40 AM7/13/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Maybe you have some debug build with debug enabled to see what happens.

Tunnelblick developer

Jul 13, 2017, 11:40:24 AM7/13/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
You can set a preference to show debugging messages:

defaults write net.tunnelblick.tunnelblick DB-ALL -bool YES

which will log (to the Console log) all the debugging messages that Tunnelblick can produce.

However, there may not be any debugging messages that will help with this situation.

You can remove it with:
defaults delete net.tunnelblick.tunnelblick DB-ALL

How are you getting the .dmg to the computer? If you can do something other than download it (for example, copy to/from a USB thumb drive), you could eliminate the possibility that this is related to "auto-translocation".

After mounting th new  .dmg, what are the results of