DNS problem and fix

Kenn Herman

Apr 5, 2017, 2:31:02 PM4/5/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
I thought I would share an experience that I had, in the hopes it might help someone else.

My VPN was working fine, DNS being pushed, however my Mac was not setting up DNS properly. The DNS was there not grayed out per docs, but provided by ISP DHCP, not my OpenVPN DHCP. I could not replicate this on anyone else's Mac. When looking at it with fresh eyes, I thought I would clean up a bunch Network devices that I don't normally use or hadn't for a very long time. After clearing out everything besides my "Display Ethernet" (an ethernet input on my thunderbolt Monitor ) and "Wi-Fi", things started behaving normally.

Rocket

Apr 10, 2017, 8:26:33 AM4/10/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Thank you for sharing.

May I ask what are the steps you've done to clean it ? I am using wireless at home and my Mac DNS server from system preference (network) show "10.0.0.138" using Ian as Domains. The DHCP config was automatically populate but reading the "Read Before You Post" page from Tunnelblick, it suppose to be empty.

I've configure the openvpn on ubuntu and using my Mac pro as a vpn client, everything *seems to working fine, I can connect to the vpn BUT Tunnelblick return said : This computer's apparent public IP address <my public ip> was unchanged after the connection was made.

I've put "redirect-gateway def1" on both server.conf and client1.ovpn, but my public ip just wouldn't change even I do the 'netstat -rn' show my client ip is using the utun0.

Any light you can shed on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Tunnelblick developer

Apr 10, 2017, 10:06:39 AM4/10/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
@Rocket - I'm sorry if the "Read Before You Post" page was unclear: the DNS servers should appear but be dimmed, indicating that they were set via DHCP and you can't change them (for example, you can't delete them). If they appear but are normal dark text, they were set manually and can be deleted or modified.

If you set DNS servers manually, Tunnelblick does not change that setting (because it assumes you want that setting and know what you are doing). If the setting was set via DHCP, then Tunnelblick changes settings as directed by OpenVPN (which is directed by the OpenVPN configuration file and/or the VPN server).

Kenn Herman

Apr 10, 2017, 11:27:05 AM4/10/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
@Tunnelblick developer, please note, that what you are saying actually goes against my experience, and hence my original post. I had not entered DNS and my items where not grayed out or dimmed. It seem to be a by product of some bad networking probably as an artifact of some bad network interface that was not being used.

@Rocket, I attached a screenshot of what my interface list looks like now, I had about 6 unused interfaces in there.
Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 8.26.01 AM.png

Rocket

Apr 10, 2017, 9:24:59 PM4/10/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Ok. Thank you. I ended up left it as it is.

Rocket

Apr 10, 2017, 9:26:41 PM4/10/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Thank you @Kenn. But do you know why I am getting "This computer's apparent public IP address <my public ip> was unchanged after the connection was made." ? See my late note.

Rocket

Apr 10, 2017, 9:29:09 PM4/10/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
@Tunnelblik developer, I've posted the question "This computer's apparent public IP address <my public ip> was unchanged after the connection was made." recently and left quite a detailed info. Any advise you can give me would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.