After latest Tunnelblick update I cannot connect as "‘Configuration 'MPN GBR' is not secure. It should be reinstalled.’ " HELP NEEDED!

sue.s...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2016, 10:13:14 PM4/6/16
to tunnelblick-discuss
Yesterday I was prompted to update the Tunnelblick. And now it is not working. When trying to start it I get this message ‘Configuration 'MPN GBR' is not secure. It should be reinstalled.’ Below is copy of the log which is gobbledegook to me. Can you please HELP! WHAT DO I DO??? This has never happened after previous updates and  I have no idea how to reinstall.  I use an Apple MacPro OSX version 10.9.5.

2016-04-07 06:47:37 *Tunnelblick: OS X 10.9.5; Tunnelblick 3.6.0a (build 4543.4546); prior version 3.5.7 (build 4270.4517)
2016-04-07 06:47:37 *Tunnelblick: Attempting connection with MPN GBR using shadow copy; Set nameserver = 1; monitoring connection
2016-04-07 06:47:37 *Tunnelblick: openvpnstart start MPN\ GBR.tblk 1337 1 0 1 0 1065264 -ptADGNWradsgnw 2.3.10
2016-04-07 06:47:37 *Tunnelblick:

Could not start OpenVPN (openvpnstart returned with status #254)

Contents of the openvpnstart log:
*Tunnelblick: openvpnstart log:
     /Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick/Users/sueevans/MPN GBR.tblk/Contents/Info.plist permissions are 0744; they should be 0644
     pathIsNotSecure: pathComponentIsNotSecure(/Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick/Users/sueevans/MPN GBR.tblk/Contents/Info.plist, 0644)
     /Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick/Users/sueevans/MPN GBR.tblk/Contents/Info.plist is not secured

jkbull...gmail.com

Apr 6, 2016, 10:27:24 PM4/6/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, sue.s...@gmail.com
I'm sorry for the problem you are having. The message says you have to reinstall the configuration because it is not secure. Tunnelblick increased the security of certain files that don't appear in most configurations -- but apparently one appears in yours.

So you can reinstall. If you have the original configuration you can install it as you did originally. If you don't have it, you should contact your VPN service provider to get a new copy, then install that. That is probably the best solution, especially if you have many configurations, because this problem probably affects all of your configurations.

There is an alternative that might work if you an admin on your computer. If you don't know if you are an admin, then you probably are, so go ahead and try this. First, copy the following (it should all be on one line), then paste it into Terminal:

sudo chmod 644 "/Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick/Users/sueevans/MPN GBR.tblk/Contents/Info.plist"

Then press the "enter/return" key on the keyboard.

You will be asked for a password. Type your computer password and then press the "enter/return" key on the keyboard again. Noting will show up as you type your password, not even asterisks or bullets.

Sue Scarff

Apr 6, 2016, 10:45:41 PM4/6/16
to jkbull...gmail.com, tunnelblick-discuss
Many thanks for your prompt reply. I think I am an ADMIN on my comp as no one else uses it. So will try your solution 2 as above. BUT WHAT IS A 'TERMINAL' (never herald this before so excuse me if it is a silly question but I am rather inept on computer stuff)? Also I do not have any computer password on my Mac - does that matter for this?

 Thanks again Sue

--
Sue

jkbull...gmail.com

Apr 6, 2016, 10:54:07 PM4/6/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, jkbu...@gmail.com, sue.s...@gmail.com
Your computer has a password. If you don't know it you won't be able to do anything. (It might be that when you start your computer it doesn't ask for a password and you are logged in automatically; that's different -- essentially the system enters your password for you.)

If you are not familiar with Terminal, though, then I don't think you should use that option. You should contact your VPN service provider (the company you got your configurations from originally. You may be paying them a monthly fee). Get them to step you through the process of reinstalling the configurations.

On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 10:45:41 PM UTC-4, <> wrote:
Many thanks for your prompt reply. I think I am an ADMIN on my comp as no one else uses it. So will try your solution 2 as above. BUT WHAT IS A 'TERMINAL' (never herald this before so excuse me if it is a silly question but I am rather inept on computer stuff)? Also I do not have any computer password on my Mac - does that matter for this?

 Thanks again Sue

wizzba...@gmail.com

Oct 17, 2016, 5:18:40 PM10/17/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, sue.s...@gmail.com
and how tf are we expected to remember how we installed something 3 years ago? You people really have your heads up your asses!

Tunnelblick developer

Oct 17, 2016, 6:06:38 PM10/17/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, wizzba...@gmail.com
I'm sorry you feel that way. To uninstall Tunnelblick follow the instructions in Uninstalling Tunnelblick.

I have removed all of the code you have ever contributed to Tunnelblick (0 lines of code), removed all of the translations and artwork you have ever created and donated Tunnelblick (0 translations, 0 images), refunded everything you have ever paid to Tunnelblick for services ($0), and refunded all the money, goods, and services you have ever donated to Tunnelblick ($0, $0 worth, $0 worth).

For the benefit of readers of this thread who don't want to fix the problem using Terminal which I described in one of my earlier replies, configurations can be reinstalled in two simple drag/drop steps:

1. Drag with the Option key held down (so it copies rather than moves) the configuration files out of their current location to somewhere convenient (the Desktop, an empty folder, etc.):
    • For private configurations:
      /Users/YOUR_USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick/Configurations
      (also known as "~/Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick/Configurations")

    • For shared configurations:
      /Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick/Shared
2. Drag the copied configurations to the Tunnelblick icon in the menu bar (in a recent version of Tunnelblick).

habban.e...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2016, 4:12:47 PM10/25/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, wizzba...@gmail.com
Love your software! Had the same problem (#245).
1) Fixed permissions in /library (https://tunnelblick.net/cSystemFolderNotSecure.html)
2) drag dropped the configfiles.
3) Voilá!
Thanks

andizi1...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2017, 7:26:56 PM3/22/17
to tunnelblick-discuss, wizzba...@gmail.com
Thanks. Had a similar issue and could solve it with your explanation!