Tunnelblick Configuration Installation Error

mwalt...@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2015, 1:54:18 PM2/26/15
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
I use IpVanish and have downloaded the configuration files. Configuration files are stored in a folder "configs.tlbk". When I try to import the configurations into tunnelblick I get the error

Tunnelblick Configuration Installation Error

Installation failed:

In the OpenVPN configuration file for 'configs.tlbk': An internal Tunnelblick error occurred: fileIsReasonableSize: invalid file type: /Users/Walter/Desktop/configs.tlbk.ovpn

I have tried this with both the beta and stable version of tunnelblick for mac os x 10.8.5. All the extensions for the files are .ovpn

What do I do?

jkbull...gmail.com

Feb 26, 2015, 2:05:00 PM2/26/15
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, mwalt...@gmail.com
You should not have something that is named "configs.tblk.ovpn".

An item whose name ends in ".ovpn" is an OpenVPN configuration file. It is just a file.

An item whose name ends in ".tblk" is a "Tunnelblick VPN Configuration". It is a "package" – a special kind of folder on OS X – that for most purposes behaves as if it is a file. You can double-click it, for example, and instead of opening it to display its contents, OS X will open the program that is associated with it (Tunnelblick).

If IPVanish supplied you with something named "configs.tblk.ovpn", then you should contact them -- and mention that I said they don't know what they are doing!

If they supplied you with something named "configs.tblk", don't add a ".ovpn" to the end of it.

Try removing the ".ovpn" from the end of the name and double-clicking it.

ne...@ntbdesign.com.au

Mar 2, 2015, 5:47:04 AM3/2/15
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
I have rebuilt my MacBook Pro and installed OS X Yosemite 10.10.2.
I have reinstalled the latest version of Tunnelblick, 3.4.3.
I am unable to configure my VPN with the existing CRSSLconfig.tblk file. I get the message below.

Installation Failed:
At line 16 of the OpenVPN configuration file: The 'status' option is not allowed in an OpenVPN configuration file that is in a Tunnelblick VPN Configuration unless the file it references is specified with an absolute path.

I downloaded a new config file and have the same Issue.
I Uninstalled Tunnelblick and Reinstalled it again and still the same Issue.

Any idea's
Thanks

jkbull...gmail.com

Mar 2, 2015, 6:14:30 AM3/2/15
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, ne...@ntbdesign.com.au
This message means exactly what it says: there is a 'status' option on line 16 of your OpenVPN configuration file and the option does not specify an absolute path (one that starts with a slash). Such references are not allowed.

Older versions of Tunnelblick did not detect this situation, which is why you probably did not see this error message earlier. The problem is that a non-absolute path for the status option probably means that the status file which OpenVPN creates and updates is located inside the .tblk. That is bad because the .tblk should be a read-only file hierarchy. If any part of a .tblk changes, then you will need to enter your computer admin username/password the next time you connect. It is problematic to use a relative path for another reason: the folder hierarchy of a .tblk can be modified when the .tblk is installed, so a relative path (such as ../../foo.status) in the configuration file may end up referring to a different place in the folder hierarchy of the .tblk that is installed when compared to the .tblk that you are installing. (An installed .tblk will be an OS X "package", with everything inside a "Contents" folder, and almost everything inside a "Resources" folder inside of "Contents. A .tblk that you install does not need to be in that form; it will be converted when your .tblk is installed.)

I don't know where you downloaded your configuration from; whoever created this should have been aware of the problem and should not be providing a .tblk with this problem.

You can fix this in either of two ways:
  • Remove the line in the OpenVPN configuration file that has the "status" option (that is, line 16). This is probably what you should do because you can determine the status of the connection by looking at the Tunnelblick icon.

    OR

  • Change the path in the line to be an absolute path, one that is not inside the .tblk. (Be careful if you do this – the status file is created and written to while OpenVPN is running as root, and it could modify/destroy any file on your computer, even normally protected system files.)
(The OpenVPN configuration file is the file inside the .tblk which has a ".conf" or ".ovpn" extension at the end of the filename. To see the inside of a .tblk, Control-click on the .tblk and select "Show Package Contents".)

ne...@ntbdesign.com.au

Mar 2, 2015, 7:53:16 PM3/2/15
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, ne...@ntbdesign.com.au
Hello,

I have Deleted the Status Line as suggested and this has corrected the issue when installing the configuration file.
The VPN now operates.

I have also let the Vender know about the Issue with there creation of the Configuration File.

Thanks again.