name not allowed

cbe...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2014, 5:02:33 PM4/18/14
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
I recently upgraded Tunnelblick from an ancient version to current, and now I get a popup error that says "Name not allowed" with the text "Configuration [name here] will be ignored because its name contains characters that are not allowed."

I can't find anywhere to go to change that configuration's name or to delete it in the preferences. It no longer shows up. How can I manually change the name or delete the profile and re-create?

Thanks.

jkbull...gmail.com

Apr 18, 2014, 6:15:54 PM4/18/14
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, cbe...@gmail.com
Ah. Kind of a catch 22. It won't list the configuration in Tunnelblick's window, so you can't rename it with Tunnelblick.

First, quit Tunnelblick.

Then change the name of the configuration file. The file should be in one of two folders:
/User/YOUR-USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick/Configurations
or
/User/YOUR-USERNAME/Library/openvpn
(the first one is the most likely, so try that first).

Once you find the configuration file (it will end in .ovpn or .conf), change the name so it has only the characters which are allowed. It can't include any of the following characters: "#&;:~|*?'\"~<>^[]{}$%". The only non-printable character that is allowed is the space character.

Then launch Tunnelblick. It will offer to convert the OpenVPN configuration file to a Tunnelblick VPN Configuration. Allow that, and you should be all set.

cbe...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2014, 6:17:47 PM4/18/14
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, cbe...@gmail.com
Thanks for the followup. I actually jut figured out the same thing myself. It was in the former directory. I found it by using "find / -name "*[the name of it]*".

Once I found it, I had to sudo chown to to my user:staff so i could delete it (it was an old configuration), but I couldn't find anything on google, so hopefully this will show up for future user for others.

Thanks for the quick answer!