Newrelic connection

dosch

May 3, 2018, 8:45:24 PM5/3/18
to tunnelblick-discuss
When I want to connect to my OpenVPN server, tunnelblick connects to js-agent.newrelic.com.
Denying access to this url , with Little Snitch, causes my vpn connection to fail.

Why is js-agent.newrelic.com required?
Connecting to some data collecting industry in order to establish a save internet connection seems a little contradictory.

Tunnelblick developer

May 3, 2018, 9:09:05 PM5/3/18
to tunnelblick-discuss
Where did you download your copy of Tunnelblick from?

Where did you get your OpenVPN configuration file from?

Tunnelblick does not connect to js-agent.newrelic.com. Tunnelblick connects to tunnelblick.net. It only does that with your permission, and only to check for updates and/or check for the apparent public IP address of your computer.

Tunnelblick will, under certain circumstances, run scripts that are included in a VPN configuration, and those scripts could access js-agent.newrelic.com (or anything else). And OpenVPN, which is included in Tunnelblick, can connect to anything that it's configuration tells it to. When OpenVPN connects to anything, Little Snitch reports that as coming from Tunnelblick (because the OpenVPN program is contained within the Tunnelblick application).

So I can think of only two possibilities.
  1. You have a copy of Tunnelblick that has been modified. As far as I know, that has never happened (in ten years). To be sure that isn't the case, reinstall Tunnelblick after downloading it from the official downloads page. Be sure to verify your download before using it.

    HOWEVER, please keep a copy of the Tunnelblick that is causing this problem, in case it is a trojanned version. It would be very helpful to have a copy of the malware. (Just Option-drag /Applications/Tunnelblick.app to your Desktop to copy it if you don't have the original that you downloaded.)

  2. The VPN configuration is accessing js-agent.newrelic.com. Because OpenVPN configurations can include shell scripts and those scripts run as root, they can do (almost) anything.
If you post the diagnostic info obtained by following the instructions at Read Before You Post, it may point to the problem.