Also installing vpnc...

bt.jo...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2015, 7:46:48 AM4/28/15
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
I am using tunnelblick and it works perfectly... :)
But I need to install vpnc from brew to connect to a cisco vpn also. So my question is, will installing vpnc from brew in any way affect my tunnelblick installation?

Regards,

BTJ

jkbull...gmail.com

Apr 28, 2015, 7:59:47 AM4/28/15
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, bt.jo...@gmail.com
I'm glad Tunnelblick is working for you.

My understanding is that recent versions of OS X support Cisco VPNs natively, so you might not need to use vpnc.

Many vpn clients tell OS X to load tun/tap kexts at boot. If vpnc does that, Tunnelblick won't be able to load its own tun/tap kexts. (Tunnelblick loads and unloads its kexts dynamically, as the VPN is connected and disconnected, and if a tun or tap kext is already loaded, Tunnelblick won't be able to load its own tun or tap kext.)

However, if you are using a "tun" connection with Tunnelblick, Tunnelblick may not need to use the tun kext. Tunnelblick doesn't load the tun kext on OS X 10.6.8 and higher if a built-into-OS-X "utun" device can be used.

So, sorry, but the answer is: it depends.

bt.jo...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2015, 8:26:06 AM4/28/15
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, bt.jo...@gmail.com
Well, life is never that easy.... :-|

I am using tun for my openvpn connections yes, but how do I know is there is a built-into-OS-X "utun" available?
btw, I am using the latest Yosemite version...

BTJ

jkbull...gmail.com

Apr 28, 2015, 8:59:47 AM4/28/15
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, bt.jo...@gmail.com
You can use the OpenVPN "dev-node" option to force OpenVPN to use tun instead of utun, but OpenVPN will use utun by default, so it is likely that you are using utun.

To check, connect the VPN and disconnect it, then look in the Tunnelblick log for a reference to "utun0". If it is using "utun0", then it is using the built-into-OS-X "utun" driver. You should also not see anything near the start of the log about Tunnelblick loading "tun".

By default, Tunnelblick is set to load the tun kext "automatically": it will load the tun kext only if a "dev-node tunXXX" appears in the configuration file. You can check that Tunnelblick is doing this by looking at the "Advanced" settings page.

bt.jo...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2015, 9:05:43 AM4/28/15
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, bt.jo...@gmail.com
Tried setting the option to Never load tun driver and I still could connect to the vpn server, so I gues it would be safe to install vpnc... :)

BTJ