Configuration file does not install

07083...@euromail.se

Oct 28, 2014, 1:44:49 PM10/28/14
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
Configuration file (IGhost.tblk) does not appear in Tunneblick 3.4 after I double-click on the file. Is there an alternative way to install configuration? Could it be due to upgrade to Yosemite? Tunnelblick worked just fine on my Mac with Maverick.

jkbull...gmail.com

Oct 28, 2014, 2:02:32 PM10/28/14
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, 07083...@euromail.se
When you double-click:
  1. You may be asked whether to  install it as "private" or shared (this can be overidden in the .tblk itself); then
  2. You should be asked for your computer username/password; and then
  3. You should see a window saying that the configuration was installed, or a window explaining why it wasn't.
If all that happens and you aren't seeing the configuration, it may not be usable because you are using a "Deployed" version of Tunnelblick and it is not allowing you to see configurations other than those configurations that are built into it.

If all that doesn't happen, what does?

Joakim Flodin

Oct 28, 2014, 6:32:35 PM10/28/14
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
NOTHING at all happen when I double-click. The file "goes away" and The configuration window is bought to front.

When I try to add The configuration manually, there is a pop up that says that I should double-click on the configuration file.

So stupid.

M v h
/Joakim

jkbull...gmail.com

Oct 28, 2014, 7:03:45 PM10/28/14
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, 07083...@euromail.se
First, was Tunnelblick installed by double- clicking it? If not, please install it. The latest version can be found on the Downloads page, https://code.google.com/p/tunnelblick/wiki/DownloadsEntry.

At the end of installing you will be asked if you want to "Quit" or "Launch". Click on "Launch". At that point, your .tblk should have an icon a piece of paper with a tiny Tunnelblick tunnel on it. If not, perhaps the extension is not ".tblk"?

If you didn't need to install, please launch Tunnelblick.

A small Tunnelblick icon should appear somewhere in the status bar at the top of your screen. Usually it is on the right near the Spotlight icon, but sometimes to the left of all the other icons.

Finally, hold down the "Control" key on the keyboard and click on the .tblk. Then click on "Open". If it is dim and can't be clicked, slide the pointer down to "Open With…" and describe what choices you have there.

jkbull...gmail.com

Oct 28, 2014, 7:07:03 PM10/28/14
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, 07083...@euromail.se
And after launching Tunnelblick, if you are asked, click on "I have configuration files", then click "Done" -- BEFORE you double-click the .tblk.

codemas...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2014, 2:49:28 PM10/29/14
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, 07083...@euromail.se
Hey I was having this same issue. Cmd+Q to close out Tunnelblick completely THEN double-click on the configuration file and it will install. I was ready to pull my hair out over this ( I too upgraded to Yosemite). For some reason it just won't install if Tunnelblick is open at all. I'm now happily connected to my work's VPN :)

jkbull...gmail.com

Oct 29, 2014, 6:33:35 PM10/29/14
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, 07083...@euromail.se, codemas...@gmail.com
This is the first time I've heard of this, but now I see that it is a problem.

Thanks for reporting the problem and having the perseverance to answer my questions so I could understand what the problem was.

I am so close to the program that I sometimes can't see what it's like to not be familiar with it. It seemed obvious to me that you need to click "Done" before double-clicking a .tblk, but I was (obviously!) wrong, and there is no good reason to require that.

It was easy to fix it so that you don't need to click "Done" on the window that tells you to double-click a configuration file, so I've committed the fix to the source code as r3109.

There remain many situations where Tunnelblick stops everything until you answer the question it is asking you, though. For example, when it asks for a VPN username/password. (It's on my list to change such situations, but I have a long list.)

Again, thanks for reporting this and helping me see what the problem was.

Joakim Flodin

Oct 29, 2014, 7:42:11 PM10/29/14
to codemas...@gmail.com, tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!
That worked perfectly.
The configuration installed properly when Tunnelblick is shut down (strange).
But then my VPN username and password didn’t work ….

apat...@gmail.com

Nov 3, 2014, 10:51:26 PM11/3/14
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, codemas...@gmail.com, 07083...@euromail.se
Ugh.  I was having the exact same issue of non-responsiveness when attempting to install the configuration files.  Took me about an hour to figure out. I still don't quite get the clicking "Done" or not solution ... but what worked for me is quitting Tunnelblick and then just individually opening each configuration file which then correctly prompts and successfully installs the file into Tunnelblick.

jkbull...gmail.com

Nov 4, 2014, 5:35:47 AM11/4/14
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, codemas...@gmail.com, 07083...@euromail.se, apat...@gmail.com
The problem with not clicking "Done" is that Tunnelblick is waiting for you to click it and will do nothing else until you click it. Tunnelblick will not respond to menu commands, not install configurations by double-clicking, etc. If you click "Done", it will then start responding normally. (As I wrote earlier, this has been fixed in the source code and the fix will be included in the next beta release.)

The reason why I don't recommend quitting Tunnelblick and double-clicking configurations to install them is that if you have a very old versions of Tunnelblick installed (somewhere other than /Applications, where all new versions go), OS X may respond to the double-click by opening the old version of Tunnelblick instead of the new version.

A tip: use the Finder to select all the configurations you want to install, then Control-click and select "Open". By doing that, you will be asked for your computer admin username/password only once. If you double-click each configuration individually, you will be asked for your computer admin username/password for each configuration.

rotu...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2015, 4:36:23 PM11/17/15
to tunnelblick-discuss, 07083...@euromail.se, codemas...@gmail.com
This solution worked for me, thanks!

jon.yo...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2015, 7:03:41 AM12/29/15
to tunnelblick-discuss, 07083...@euromail.se, codemas...@gmail.com, rotu...@gmail.com
Thanks, spent an hour trying to figure out why i couldn't load my .ovpn file. Had to shut down Tunnelblick and then double click my .ovpn. Weird that this bug still exists a year later.

tzeho...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2015, 9:46:38 AM12/31/15
to tunnelblick-discuss, 07083...@euromail.se, codemas...@gmail.com
Could you please kindly instruct me on how to install the fix because I have the same problem and I don't know how to access nor use the fix...

jkbull...gmail.com於 2014年10月30日星期四 UTC+8上午6時33分35秒寫道:

jkbull...gmail.com

Dec 31, 2015, 9:56:18 AM12/31/15
to tunnelblick-discuss, 07083...@euromail.se, codemas...@gmail.com, tzeho...@gmail.com
@tzehong001 -

  1. Download and install Tunnelblick 3.6beta18 (or later, if a later version is available) from the Tunnelblick Downloads page.

  2. Make sure you have completed all of the questions Tunnelblick asks when it is installed for the first time. (For example, the questions about checking for updates and checking your IP address.)

  3. Quit Tunnelblick.

  4. Open a Finder window showing the /Applications folder, and scroll down so you can see the Tunnelblick icon.

  5. Drag and drop your configuration file(s) onto the Tunnelblick icon in the /Applications folder.

petera...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2016, 7:13:44 AM1/25/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, 07083...@euromail.se
Hello

I had a slightly different problem.
Installation went fine...with no installed profiles.
After that, every time I opened the program I would get a

"tunnelblick" is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?"

pop up and I could not load configuration files

This was a problem with OS X quarantine. I fixed it by typing

sudo xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Tunnelblick.app

into the terminal.

now my configuration files load fine.

-peter

this was a problem with OS

jkbull...gmail.com

Jan 25, 2016, 7:30:49 AM1/25/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, 07083...@euromail.se, petera...@gmail.com
Thanks for your info, Peter.

However, I am a bit confused. Are you saying that you would get the "downloaded from Internet" pop-up when you launched Tunnelblick by double-clicking /Applications/Tunnelblick or dropped a VPN configuration file on /Applications/Tunnelblick? Or were you getting the pop-up when you double-clicked a VPN configuration file?

The latter can happen because, beginning with Yosemite, there is an OS X bug that launches the wrong copy of Tunnelblick. It can, for example, launch the copy of Tunnelblick on the Tunnelblick installer disk image (which was downloaded from the Internet). Recent beta versions of Tunnelblick eject the disk image so that problem doesn't happen, but if you have other copies of Tunnelblick, it could be launching them instead of the copy in /Applications.

Otherwise the only two ways I can think of that /Applications/Tunnelblick could have had its quarantine bits set is if you didn't install Tunnelblick by double-clicking the Tunnelblick icon in the disk image (or the installation didn't complete), or if there is a problem with your copy of OS X.

jkbull...gmail.com

Feb 11, 2016, 9:06:03 PM2/11/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, 07083...@euromail.se, petera...@gmail.com
I may have found a solution for the OS X bug that is causing these problems. I found it in a comment in an Apple Support Community discussion.

Apparently the OS X installer is failing to create a folder that is needed by the OS X Launch Services daemon. The folder is /private/var/db/lsd.

If the folder does not exist, you can create it with the following command in Terminal:

sudo mkdir /private/var/db/lsd

(You will need to enter this command as an "administrator" user, not as a "standard" user, and you will need to type your password and the "enter" key because the file needs to be owned by root.)

After entering the command, you'll need to restart your computer for the fix to be effective. At its first launch after the folder has been created, OS X will create a file in the folder, and after that a double-click on a configuration file should start the correct version of Tunnelblick (the one that's running), and then the normal configuration installation should go on from there.

44agraw...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2016, 8:47:32 PM3/18/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, 07083...@euromail.se, petera...@gmail.com
I have exactly same issue. after double-clicking .ovpn file nothing happens. I tried sudo mkdir /private/var/db/lsd as well. any other solution?

jkbull...gmail.com

Mar 18, 2016, 8:56:52 PM3/18/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, 44agraw...@gmail.com
I'm not sure what "exactly the same issue" means; people posting to this thread have several different problems.

The ultimate solution is for Apple to fix the OS X bug.

Are you using one of the latest version of Tunnelblick, released today? What version of OS X are you using?

In the meantime, usually the latest Tunnelblick works for most people (either of today's releases). If not, drag/drop your configuration(s) onto the Tunnelblick icon in a Finder window showing the /Applications folder. Some people have reported that works only if Tunnelblick is NOT running when they do it, but for most people that doesn't matter.

ment...@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2016, 6:47:03 AM4/4/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, 07083...@euromail.se
Installed version: Tunnelblick 3.6.2beta02 (build 4551)
OS X version: El Capitan 10.11.2

Problem description:

When I double click my .conf file (or drag it on the Tunnelblick application), _4_ windows pop up:

- 2 instances of the "There are no VPN configurations installed" window. This is the one that has 3 buttons, "Quit", "I DO NOT have configuration files" and "I have configuration files"
- 1 instance of the window titled "Create and Edit a Sample Configuration"? This has 2 buttons, "Back" and "Create sample configuration and edit it"
- 1 instance of the window I am expecting titled "Install Configuration For All Users?". This has buttons for "All Users", "Cancel" and "Only Me".

I have tried many different strategies, clicking different things in all these windows. The one I really hoped would work is closing all the other windows first and then clicking "Only Me" in the last window. Sadly, that didn't work either. I simply cannot seem to install this VPN configuration.

Additional information:

- I have tried several different versions of Tunnelblick, including the newest beta, the newest stable release and an older version. All yielded the same results.
- I have ejected the installer image so that's not the issue

Thanks for a great product,  hopefully we can solve this issue!

jkbull...gmail.com

Apr 4, 2016, 7:45:59 AM4/4/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, 07083...@euromail.se, ment...@gmail.com
Thanks for your report; I'm sorry you're having this trouble. And thanks for giving such a detailed report; that really helped me understand the problem.

This is the first I've heard of this "multiple windows" problem. However, I have just been testing it out and the 3.6 versions of Tunnelblick have several problems showing the windows that it should show when there are no configurations. I'll work on those problems later today, but first I want to get you with a working setup, so please do the following:

1. Make sure you do not have any copies of Tunnelblick anywhere on your computer. (You can have Tunnelblick disk images if they are not mounted, but you can't have copies of the Tunnelblick application itself.) Empty the Trash if there are any copies of Tunnelblick in it.

2. Do a "Safe Boot" to clear some system caches that may be causing problems.

3. Do a normal restart.

4. Download Tunnelblick 3.5.8 from Tunnelblick's Deprecated Downloads page and install it (be sure to get 3.5.8, not one of the 3.6 versions). Answer any questions as you wish (about checking for updates, checking that the IP address changes, etc.), but do not update to a later version of Tunnelblick (if you are asked, just close the window or click the "Remind me later" button).

5. Eject the Tunnelblick volume (that is, the mounted disk image).

6. Try to install one configuration by drag/drop onto the Tunnelblick icon in a Finder window showing Applications. You should get (only) the window with buttons for "All Users", "Cancel" and "Only Me".

7. Once you have installed one configuration, you can update Tunnelblick if you wish. 3.5.8 should work OK for you unless you have some other unusual problems, so if you want to stay with that for a while, that's fine.

Thanks again for reporting this. Please accept my apologies, I know this must be frustrating!

rza...@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2016, 8:39:57 PM4/7/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, 07083...@euromail.se, ment...@gmail.com
I was having the same issue (OS X 10.11.4), thanks for the fix! Some additional info:

- I had to close Tunnelblick between each configuration I added on 3.5.8
- I did update to 3.6.0a (build 4543.4546) afterwards, and my configs are still there and functioning

jkbull...gmail.com

Apr 7, 2016, 9:28:54 PM4/7/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, 07083...@euromail.se, ment...@gmail.com, rza...@gmail.com
@rzablit - Thanks for sharing your confirmation that the workaround does actually work and that after you updated to 3.6.0a your setup still works.

When you say you "had to close Tunnelblick between each configuration" you added -- what was the problem if you didn't? (That could be another problem that I need to fix, and I'd like to know what to be looking for. I don't remember anything like that in 3.5.8.)

It should have been that after the first configuration was (finally) installed, you could then have selected all of your configurations and then drag/dropped all of them at once on the Tunnelblick icon in /Applications and have them all install at once. I'm sorry that I didn't mention that -- or did you try that and it didn't work for some reason?

An update on the status of actually fixing this problem: I have committed fixes to the source code and they will appear in a new beta that I hope to release tomorrow or Saturday. A big problem was that the "Quit" button on the "Welcome to Tunnelblick" window didn't quit properly. But there was also a problem when you double-click or drag/drop a configuration when that window -- or certain other windows -- were still showing. I think the fix will solve all those problems.

jkbull...gmail.com

Apr 8, 2016, 11:56:24 AM4/8/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, 07083...@euromail.se, ment...@gmail.com, rza...@gmail.com
Tunnelblick 3.6.2beta06 should fix problems with installing configurations by drag/drop onto the Tunnelblick icon in /Applications.

Double-clicking a configuration file usually causes Tunnelblick to install it, but if other programs are set up to open the configuration files, those programs might be used instead of Tunnelblick, in which case the other program will not install the configuration. The workaround in that situation is to drag/drop the configuration file onto the Tunnelblick icon in a Finder window showing the contents of the "Applications" folder.

rza...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2016, 12:46:09 PM4/8/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, 07083...@euromail.se, ment...@gmail.com, rza...@gmail.com
After I installed each configuration, trying to install another (via double-clicking or drag-and-drop) would do nothing (no windows pop up, no configuration is added). Closing and opening Tunnenblick would fix the problem.

jkbull...gmail.com

Apr 8, 2016, 1:30:49 PM4/8/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, 07083...@euromail.se, ment...@gmail.com, rza...@gmail.com
Thanks again, rzablit. That clarifies things.

I can't reproduce the behavior you are seeing on any of my test setups.

It is particularly troubling that you could not drag/drop the configuration onto the Tunnelblick icon in a Finder window showing the "Applications" folder. Unless there is a major problem with Finder (not unheard of, but very unlikely), that should cause Finder to send a message to the running Tunnelblick program to install the configuration.

If you are willing to help me try to figure this out, please do the following:

1.   Make two copies of one of your current configurations and give them the names "A" and "B".
2.   Quit Tunnelblick if it is running.
3.   Open the "Console" application (in /Applications/Utilities).
4.   In Console: Click "View", then "Clear Display".
5.   Launch Tunnelblick
6.   Open a new Finder window, naviate to the "Applications" folder, and scroll to view the Tunnelblick icon if necessary.
7.   Drag configuration "A" and drop it onto the Tunnelblick icon in the Finder window.
>>> If Tunnelblick lets you install "A", drag/drop "B" onto the Tunnelblick icon in the Finder window. otherwise continue with step 8.
>>> If Tunnelblick lets you install "B" then the problem has gone away and you can just report that and skip the rest of the steps, otherwise continue with step 8..
8.   Quit Tunnelblick
9.   Click anywhere in the Console window, then click "Edit", then "Select All", click "Edit" again, then "Copy"
10. Paste the Clipboard into a reply

Thanks in advance.

jkbull...gmail.com

Apr 8, 2016, 1:32:06 PM4/8/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, 07083...@euromail.se, ment...@gmail.com, rza...@gmail.com
Oh, sorry, I forgot:

Step 0, before you do anything else:

Install Tunnelblick 3.6.2beta06 from the Tunnelblick Downloads page.

Robert Zablit

Apr 11, 2016, 6:56:44 PM4/11/16
to jkbull...gmail.com, tunnelblick-discuss, 07083...@euromail.se, ment...@gmail.com
Sorry for the delay, both installs completed successfully! Thanks again for your prompt help.

Antonino Caldarella

Apr 19, 2016, 9:17:27 AM4/19/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, 07083...@euromail.se
Hello, this is how I solved the problem to upload the config file on MAC OS X 10.11.4, since I was struggling to open a config .ovpn and nothing was happening despite multiple attempts.

I opened the OS X' activity monitor, found the process Tunneblick and arrested it by quitting from the View's menu (CPU tab).

I double clicked the config file, opened it with...Tunneblick and voila...the file was read and correctly uploaded.

Hope this may help somebody...

jkbull...gmail.com

Apr 24, 2016, 10:30:32 AM4/24/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, 07083...@euromail.se, antonino....@hevamanagement.eu, rza...@gmail.com, codemas...@gmail.com, apat...@gmail.com, rotu...@gmail.com, jon.yo...@gmail.com, tzeho...@gmail.com, 44agraw...@gmail.com, ment...@gmail.com
Tunnelblick 3.6.3beta02 contains a feature which avoids the problems installing configurations. It is available on the Tunnelblick Downloads page.

Starting with Tunnelblick 3.6.3beta02, you can install configurations by dragging them and dropping them on the Tunnelblick icon in the menu bar.

(Configurations have extensions of .tblk, .ovpn, or .conf.)