7 errors when trying to Build from Source and Rebrand on version 3.6.8

ZA

Nov 11, 2016, 3:52:07 AM11/11/16
to tunnelblick-discuss
I am running into Build errors on 3.6.8. I am Rebranding and then Building from Source and all went well until I tried to Build a Release. I am using macOS Sierra 10.12.1 and XCode Version 8.1.

I had lots of warnings (no problem though with those) and 7 errors:

  1. ../lock.h:35:10: fatal error: 'kern/locks.h' file not found
  2. cp: tuntap-20111101/tuntap/tap.kext: No such file or directory
  3. cp: tuntap-20111101/tuntap/tun.kext: No such file or directory
  4. cp: tuntap-20141104/tuntap/tap.kext: No such file or directory
  5. cp: tuntap-20141104/tuntap/tun.kext: No such file or directory
  6. Command /bin/sh emitted errors but did not return a nonzero exit code to indicate failure
  7. /Users/myusername/Desktop/tunnelblick-read-only/branches/3.6.8/tunnelblick/MenuController.m:51:9: 'Sparkle/SUUpdater.h' file not found

Any ideas about what could be causing those, especially the tuntap errors?

Tunnelblick developer

Nov 11, 2016, 6:50:18 AM11/11/16
to tunnelblick-discuss
I'm sorry you're having this problem.

See "Building Tunnelblick from Source Code.markdown" for information about building Tunnelblick. It is located in the outermost folder of the source code.

Xcode 8 is not currently supported, nor is macOS Sierra.

Errors 2,3,4 and 5 are because the tun/tap drivers were not built; error 7 is because Sparkle was not built.

Components are not built when errors occur when building them, so some error or error caused them. In this case, error 1 apparently caused the tun/tap drivers and Sparkle not to be built. If you figure out how to fix that, I think the other errors will not happen.

Please post here if you solve that problem.

light...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2017, 1:29:52 PM1/16/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
I initially hit this too (running Xcode 8.2.1). However the errors were resolved by running "xcode-select --install" in a terminal session. It seems that the latest Xcode releases don't install the command-line tools by default, which is what the xcode-select command does when run, and they are presumably required for some parts of the build.

After doing that, Tunnelblick built successfully for me, and appears to work fine.

Having said that, I am now trying to follow the rebranding process, and am hitting issues there... After following the steps and attempting a build, it appears to get most of the way through before failing and telling me "An Xcode preference must be set to put build products in the 'tunnelblick/build' folder. Pleas set Xcode preference > Locations > Advanced to 'Legacy'". However I've already done that (and I double-checked, and it is still set to "Legacy"). Considering a non-rebranded build succeeded, I assume I'm missing a step in the rebranding process somewhere.

Alex

Tunnelblick developer

Jan 16, 2017, 2:24:25 PM1/16/17
to tunnelblick-discuss, light...@gmail.com
@ligntspd -

Thanks for your report. I have added info about "xcode-select --install" to the instructions (GitHub e36e632).

The "An Xcode preference must be set…" message is from Tunnelblick's "BuildAppsAndDmgs.sh script, which is executed at the end of the build process. It appears when "build/${CONFIGURATION}/${PROJECT_NAME}.app" does not exist or is not a directory. ("${CONFIGURATION}" is either "Release" or "Debug"; "${PROJECT_NAME}" is the new name of your project". I suggest that you do a "Product: Clean" in Xcode and then try building again.

Another idea: Does your project name includes spaces? I wouldn't be surprised if some part of the build process doesn't work properly if it does.

What version of Xcode are you using? On what version of OS X? Building recent versions of Tunnelblick from source is currently supported only with Xcode 7.3.1 on OS X 10.11.6.

If you are using the correct version of Xcode on the correct version of OS X, and 'standard" Tunnelblick -- without rebranding -- builds OK, you can email me privately (devel...@tunnelblick.net) with a link so I can download your rebranded source and try to build it -- maybe I'll be able to help figure out what's going on.

ZA

Feb 9, 2017, 2:37:56 AM2/9/17
to tunnelblick-discuss, light...@gmail.com
@ligntspd
Were you able to solve the problems on the build? I have similar issue so would like to know how you recovered and solved the problem. Sincere thanks~