Tunnelblick hangs sometimes MacOS X 10.11

Sergei Solomonov

Aug 7, 2016, 6:40:40 AM8/7/16
to tunnelblick-discuss
Hello
Sometimes tunnelblick just hangs, about 2-3 times each month. After that all network / internet related functions don't work at all.
After that nothing helped, but reload.
I tried to kill all tunnelblick / openvpn processes, but I'm getting the following error "One or more OpenVPN processes could not be terminated".

Both my macs affected...
OS: MacOS X 10.11 (I also had this problem with 10.9 and 10.10)

I don't want to reload my computer each time when it happens. Any suggestions how to avoid this?

Tunnelblick developer

Aug 7, 2016, 6:58:06 AM8/7/16
to tunnelblick-discuss
Thanks for your report. I'm sorry you're having this problem.

The most common reason for a Tunnelblick "hang" is that Tunnelblick is showing a dialog window and is waiting for your answer to a question. The window could be under other windows, or in some cases, most of the window could be off of your screen, with just a sliver of the window showing on your display.

However, if Tunnelblick really is hanging and not showing a window, there are several things you can do:

1. Good: Post a description of what you were doing with Tunnelblick, or what the last thing you were doing before Tunnelblick hung.

2. Better: Post the description AND post the results of doing a "spindump". (In /Applications/Utilities/Activity Manager, click "View", then click on "Run Spindump").

Either of the above will help us understand what is causing the hang and fix the problem. Then you won't have the problem any more.

The following will help you avoid having to restart your computer if/when the problem happens:

3. You can attempt to terminate Tunnelblick in  /Applications/Utilities/Activity Manager. First try to terminate any processes named "openvpn", then try to terminate the process named Tunnelblick.

To terminate a process in Activity Manager:

  1. Click on the line containing the name of the process so it is selected
  2. Click "View"
  3. Click "Quit Process...".
  4. In the small window that pops up, verify the name of the process, then click the "Quit" button
  5. Wait 10 seconds, and if the process does not disappear from the list, repeat steps 1 through 3, and then click the "Force Quit" button.

Sergei Solomonov

Aug 7, 2016, 9:05:55 AM8/7/16
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for quick response.
No it is not hidden window, I'm absolutely sure. Next time I'll try to spindump...

Activity manager can't kill openvpn process, even "Force quit" and `kill -9` can't.

Tunnelblick developer

Aug 7, 2016, 9:12:11 AM8/7/16
to tunnelblick-discuss
Ah. If you can't force quit OpenVPN, that's very odd and disturbing.

Note: you need to provide admin credentials to force-quit it because OpenVPN is running as root. If you are not logged in as an "Admin" user, perhaps that has something to do with the problem.

You could try using the other version of OpenVPN -- if you are using 2.3.11, try the git-master, or vice-versa. You can choose the version of OpenVPN to use from the "Settings" tab. (Select the configuration(s) you want it to be used for in the list on the left.)

Sergei Solomonov

Aug 9, 2016, 5:47:19 AM8/9/16
to tunnelblick-discuss
It happened again, Activity Monitor (with root privilegies) can't kill openvpn process.
Here is tunnelblick and openvpn dumps:

Sergei Solomonov

Aug 30, 2016, 8:20:41 AM8/30/16
to tunnelblick-discuss
Any thoughts why this could happened?

lasse.g...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2016, 9:02:09 AM9/12/16
to tunnelblick-discuss
Hi,

I have the same issue, about every second day (sometimes twice a day, sometimes once a week) all my network traffic stalls. I use openvpn with Tunnelblick.
When it happens killing openvpn with admin rights doesn't work, MacOs X doesn't shutdown cleanly either, have to hard reset it using the power button.
Like the thread opener, I have had this problem for a while, also with prior MacOSX versions.

Best regards
Lasse