Tunnelblick prompts for password to create shadow copy of config but does not proceed after entering password, reprompts

Susan Cannington

Jan 20, 2017, 8:21:31 AM1/20/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Hi,

I am on Mac Sierra 10.12.2 and when clicking on my Tunnelblick icon (was working before upgrade), I get a popup to enter my admin password so Tunnelblick can create a shadow copy of the config but after I enter it (it is correct value), it reprompts - and never starts the VPN.  Help!!!

Thanks!

Tunnelblick developer

Jan 20, 2017, 8:29:24 AM1/20/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
What version of Tunnelblick are you using? Please try it with the latest beta version from the Tunnelblick Downloads page.

This popup usually only is shown when you try to connect a configuration. It can be shown when you launch Tunnelblick if a connection is set to connect "When Tunnelblick launches"; perhaps that's your situation.

Please follow the instructions at Read Before You Post to get the info needed to diagnose problems and then post that info. In your situation, please enter your admin password a couple of times and then cancel the connection before you click "Copy Diagnostic Info to Clipboard".

It happens when you click on the Tunnelblick icon? Which icon -- the one in the menu bar (status bar)?

Susan Cannington

Jan 20, 2017, 9:19:08 AM1/20/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Hi,

I have the latest version 4780beta installed.  I've attached the log with an additional section at the end of the log that shows that the missing file is present on my system.  This prompt comes when I click on the top menu bar in iOS and click on Connect button.  Thanks!
Tunnelblick_log.docx

Tunnelblick developer

Jan 20, 2017, 10:18:32 AM1/20/17
to tunnelblick-discuss, susan.ca...@xrsc.com
Please post the output from copy/pasting the following in Terminal:

ls -l -@ -b -e -F -O -d /Users ; \
ls -l -@ -b -e -F -O -d /Users/susan ; \
ls -l -@ -b -e -F -O -d /Users/susan/Library ; \
ls -l -@ -b -e -F -O -d "/Users/susan/Library/Application Support" ; \
ls -l -@ -b -e -F -O -d "/Users/susan/Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick"; \
ls -l -@ -b -e -F -O -d "/Users/susan/Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick/Configurations"
ls -l -@ -b -e -F -O     "/Users/susan/Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick/Configurations"

(It lists a bunch of info about each of the folders involved. the "; \" makes all the output appear together without being interspersed with the commands.)

Susan Cannington

Jan 20, 2017, 10:31:24 AM1/20/17
to tunnelblick-discuss, susan.ca...@xrsc.com
Attached the requested output from Terminal after executing these intructions.

Thank you!
Terminal_output.docx

Tunnelblick developer

Jan 20, 2017, 11:43:39 AM1/20/17
to tunnelblick-discuss, susan.ca...@xrsc.com
This shows the problem:

d-- -- -- -- -  3 susan  admin  - 102 Jan 15 17:34 config.tblk/

The folder config.tblk does not have any permissions at all! It cannot be searched, read, or written!

The listing should look like

dwrxr-x--- -- -  3 susan  admin  - 102 Jan 15 17:34 config.tblk/

Please copy/paste the following in Terminal to set the permissions correctly:

sudo chmod 750 "/Users/susan/Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick/Configurations/config.tblk"

You will be asked for your admin password. Type it in and the press the "enter"/"return" key. Nothing will show up as you type, not even asterisk ("*") characters.

That may not fix the entire problem because it may be that permissions of items inside of the config.tblk folder are wrong, too. After you've done the above, please post the output from:

ls -l -@ -b -e -F -O -d "/Users/susan/Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick/Configurations/config.tblk" ; \
ls -l -@ -b -e -F -O -R "/Users/susan/Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick/Configurations/config.tblk"

(The "-d" will cause ls to display info on the -- presumably fixed -- config.tblk folder itself, and the "-R" will cause ls to display info for the contents of everything inside config.tblk)

Susan Cannington

Jan 20, 2017, 1:17:25 PM1/20/17
to tunnelblick-discuss, susan.ca...@xrsc.com
Here is the requested output from Terminal after performing the chmod command successfully:

Susans-MacBook-Pro:~ susan$ ls -l -@ -b -e -F -O -d "/Users/susan/Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick/Configurations/config.tblk" ; \

drwxr-x---  3 susan  admin  - 102 Jan 15 17:34 /Users/susan/Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick/Configurations/config.tblk/

Susans-MacBook-Pro:~ susan$ ls -l -@ -b -e -F -O -R "/Users/susan/Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick/Configurations/config.tblk"

total 0

drwxr-x---  3 susan  admin  - 102 Jan 15 17:34 Contents/

/Users/susan/Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick/Configurations/config.tblk/Contents:

total 0

drwxr-x---  7 susan  admin  - 238 Jan 15 17:34 Resources/

/Users/susan/Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick/Configurations/config.tblk/Contents/Resources:

total 40

-rwxr-----@ 1 susan  admin  - 1652 Jan 15 17:34 ca.crt*

com.apple.TextEncoding   15

-rwxr-----@ 1 susan  admin  - 1728 Jan 15 17:34 cert.crt*

com.apple.TextEncoding   15

-rwxr-----  1 susan  admin  -  467 Jan 15 17:34 config.ovpn*

-rwxr-----@ 1 susan  admin  - 1700 Jan 15 17:34 key.key*

com.apple.TextEncoding   15

-rwxr-----@ 1 susan  admin  -  636 Jan 15 17:34 ta.key*

com.apple.TextEncoding   15

Susans-MacBook-Pro:~ susan$

Thank you!

Tunnelblick developer

Jan 20, 2017, 1:20:16 PM1/20/17
to tunnelblick-discuss, susan.ca...@xrsc.com
Those permissions look good. Does it work now?

Susan Cannington

Jan 20, 2017, 1:30:32 PM1/20/17
to tunnelblick-discuss, susan.ca...@xrsc.com
Sorry - no same prompts appear repeatedly!

Thanks!

Tunnelblick developer

Jan 20, 2017, 1:34:35 PM1/20/17
to tunnelblick-discuss, susan.ca...@xrsc.com
Can you post the diagnostic info again? It should be different and presumably we'll see what it thinks is wrong after fixing that one problem.

Susan Cannington

Jan 20, 2017, 1:40:03 PM1/20/17
to tunnelblick-discuss, susan.ca...@xrsc.com

Attached!

Thank you!
Tunnelblick_log.docx

Tunnelblick developer

Jan 20, 2017, 2:24:01 PM1/20/17
to tunnelblick-discuss, susan.ca...@xrsc.com
Hmmm. Back to exactly the same problem: Tunnelblick isn't seeing the "private" copy of the configuration. But that was fixed a couple of emails ago!

Please post the output from copying/pasting the following into Termninal:

ls -l -@ -b -e -F -O -d "/Users/susan/Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick/Configurations/config.tblk" ; \
ls -l -@ -b -e -F -O -R "/Users/susan/Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick/Configurations/config.tblk"

Susan Cannington

Susan Cannington

Tunnelblick developer

Jan 20, 2017, 2:49:33 PM1/20/17
to tunnelblick-discuss, susan.ca...@xrsc.com
Sorry, but you missed the first part:

ls -l -@ -b -e -F -O -d "/Users/susan/Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick/Configurations/config.tblk"

Can you do that?

Susan Cannington

Jan 20, 2017, 2:53:05 PM1/20/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
I realized I missed the first part and reposted, see my last post above....

Tunnelblick developer

Jan 20, 2017, 3:13:57 PM1/20/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Ah, sorry, I sent my reply before I saw your update.

That output looks good, but it still doesn't work!

I have no explanation. You could try the following (try whatever is easiest for you first):
  • Restart your computer.
  • Reinstalling Tunnelblick from a fresh download (it won't affect your configuration or settings).
  • Backing up your configuration, uninstalling Tunnelblick using these instructions, and then reinstalling Tunnelblick and the configuration.
=======

To back up your configuration:
  1. Open a Finder window
  2. While holding down the "Option" key on the keyboard, click "Go", and the click "Library" (which appears only when the "Option" key is pressed)
  3. Double-click "Application Support"
  4. Double-click "Tunnelblick"
  5. While holding down the "Option" key, drag the folder "Configurations" to someplace convenient (such as the Desktop). The pointer should have a green and white "plus" to show that the folder is being copied (because the "Option" key is pressed).
  6. Close the Finder window.
Then uninstall Tunnelblick and install it.

To install the backed-up configurations:
  1. Launch Tunnelblick and say you have configurations when asked, so no Tunnelblick windows are open
  2. Open the Configurations folder in Finder
  3. Drag and drop all of the contents of the Finder window onto the Tunnelblick icon at the top of the screen.