new beta update

Adi

Feb 16, 2018, 7:35:41 AM2/16/18
to tunnelblick-discuss

Hi,

I just updated vpn to latest beta  Tunnelblick 3.7.5beta06 and now it doesn't respond.

I could not see any logs to drop here.

When i attempt to connect, CPU get 100 and it doesn't start at all.

Please check attached screenshot.

I have macos 10.13.3

Please suggest.
Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 14.23.05.png

Tunnelblick developer

Feb 16, 2018, 8:06:39 AM2/16/18
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the report. You're the second one to report this problem, which seems to be related to connecting to a VPN.

You should downgrade to the previous version, Tunnelblick 3.7.5beta05; download it from our Deprecated Downloads page.

We can't reproduce the problem on our test setups, and it seems to affect fewer than 0.1% of users, so it would be great if you could help us fix it by sending us info about your setup. A "Spindump" of the failed version, and the "Diagnostic Info" from the old, working version would help a lot.

SO, BEFORE YOU DOWNGRADE (or you can upgrade to do this and then downgrade later), please get a "Spindump" and email it to devel...@tunnelblick.net.

The procedure for getting a spin dump varies with each version of macOS, but here's the procedure for High Sierra using Activity Monitor (which is in /Applications/Utilities):

 1. Click "View", then "All Processes";
 2. In the list of process names on the left, find and selectTunnelblick by clicking on it;
 3. Click on the little "gear" icon at the top of the window and select "Spindump".

A window will open while the dump is being generated, then a report window will open when it is finished. (It may take a couple of minutes or so.)

 4. Click "Save" in the report window, save the report, and email it to devel...@tunnelblick.net.

THEN, AFTER YOU DOWNGRADE, it would help if you could also get the "Diagnostic Info" and email that. To do that from Tunnelblick's "VPN Details" window:

 1. Select the configuration that hangs with the new beta in the list on the left side of the "Configurations" panel;
 2. Click "Copy Diagnostic Info to Clipboard" button;
 3. Wait until it completes (a few seconds); and
 4. Paste into an email to devel...@tunnelblick.net.

Thanks in advance.

[Edited 13:51 UTC to fix typo: "fewer than 0.1% of users", not "fewer than 0.0% of users"!]
[Edited 14:04 UTC to link to Deprecated Downloads instead of Downloads.]

Adi

Feb 16, 2018, 9:00:09 AM2/16/18
to tunnelblick-discuss
Hi,

Thank you for your response.

Firstly, there is no file available to download Tunnelblick 3.7.5beta05 from download page.
But i had it on my downloads so I tried to install it after removing beta06 with uninstaller tool.

When I finish beta05 installation, it automatically updates to beta06, i don't know why and how, it just ask for extra authentication while starting and then opens with beta 06.

So, i downloaded stable  Tunnelblick 3.7.4b and it working fine till now.

I have attached the log file to email address provided above.

Tunnelblick developer

Feb 16, 2018, 9:07:59 AM2/16/18
to tunnelblick-discuss
Thanks, Adi. I've corrected the link to go to the Deprecated Downloads page.

And I've received your logs. I'll reply when I have more info.

r...@thecybersecurityexpert.com

Feb 16, 2018, 9:14:02 AM2/16/18
to tunnelblick-discuss
Can confirm I have the same problem - TB consume all cpu and becomes unresponsive when I try to connect my vpn. No log info.

Rob

abott...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2018, 9:19:50 AM2/16/18
to tunnelblick-discuss
I'm experiencing the same.

r...@thecybersecurityexpert.com

Feb 16, 2018, 9:20:47 AM2/16/18
to tunnelblick-discuss
And to add I'm on the same version of Mac OS X - 10.13.3. I downgraded before seeing the request for a spindump, sorry.

Tunnelblick developer

Feb 16, 2018, 9:23:05 AM2/16/18
to tunnelblick-discuss
Thanks, Rob. Can you send the detailed info described in my first post on this thread?

I'd like everyone with this problem to do so if possible, so I can figure out what's going on.

Until this is resolved, I have disabled updates to 3.7.5beta06.

Tunnelblick developer

Feb 16, 2018, 7:02:25 PM2/16/18
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
This problem is fixed in Tunnelblick 3.7.5beta07 and higher.

Adi

Feb 17, 2018, 4:53:47 AM2/17/18
to tunnelblick-discuss
Hi,

tried Beta 07 build 5002 and this is working fine.