With Tunnelblick running and connected to my VPN, OS X's System Preferences > Network reports that the VPN is disconnected.

alxfyvmuc...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2015, 12:18:12 AM4/23/15
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite 10.10.3; Tunnelblick 3.5.0;  BTGuard VPN (www.btguard.com).

With Tunnelblick running and connected to my VPN (BTGuard VPN), System Preferences > Network nonetheless reports the VPN status as not connected. (This causes VPNWatcher (www.ugdsoft.com) to list the VPN as disconnected and thus it does not watch the VPN connection for a disconnect.}

I'm wondering whether anyone else has experienced this problem with Tunnelblick (whether with BTGuard or any other VPN)  and whether there is a fix in the works.

jkbull...gmail.com

Apr 23, 2015, 12:29:15 AM4/23/15
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, alxfyvmuc...@gmail.com
There is no "fix" in Tunnelblick being worked on (or even thought of).

I didn't know that System Preferences > Network shows any VPN status (I'd love to see a screenshot), but if it does it is probably referring to the VPNs built into OS X (IPSec and Cisco VPNs), not non-system VPNs like the ones that Tunneblick/OpenVPN creates.

I think you will have to talk to the VPNWatcher people to find out why it doesn't work with Tunnelblick.

jkbull...gmail.com

Apr 23, 2015, 1:27:26 PM4/23/15
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, alxfyvmuc...@gmail.com
(On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 1:06 PM, alxfyvmuc...@gmail.com wrote to me privately with screenshots and a lot of other info.)

The "BT Guard VPN" that you see in System Preferences > Network is from a proprietary BT Guard program (that you would use instead of Tunnelblick), or another type of VPN (IPSec, for example) that was created (either by you or by some BT Guard software) and named "BT Guard".

I say this because
  • A Tunnelblick VPN connection does not appear in System Preferences > Network because it does not use the OS X built-in VPN.

  • The Tunnelblick configuration that is connected is not named "BT Guard". It is named "btguard-fastest". I can see how you are confused, though, because it is a configuration that I assume was provided to you by BT Guard.