Stopped working after High Sierra upgrade

bill....@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2017, 1:33:57 PM12/23/17
to tunnelblick-discuss

I'm getting an error upon trying to connect right after upgrading to High Sierra (OS X.13.2) Tried upgrading to Tunnelblick 3.7.5beta04 (build 4970). Keep getting this error. I have no idea where to start with this one.

Tunnelblick developer

Dec 23, 2017, 1:48:44 PM12/23/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
The error is happening because Tunnelblick is attempting to connect using OpenVPN 2.4.4, which does not include the "tls-remote" option that appears in your OpenVPN configuration file. (That situation is described in the long bullet point in the window.)

Presumably you have been using OpenVPN 2.3.something, which does include that option. Recent versions of Tunnelblick on macOS High Sierra default to use OpenVPN 2.4.4.

The solution is simple: tell Tunnelblick explicitly to use "OpenVPN 2.3.18 - OpenSSL v1.0.2.n".

You can do that with the "OpenVPN version" drop-down. You can find the drop-down on the "Settings" tab of the "Configurations" panel of Tunnelblick's "VPN Details" window, but see note 1, below, before doing it.

Notes:

  1. BEFORE YOU CHANGE IT, select the configuration(s) that you want the change to apply to on the left side of the panel. (To select all configurations, click on one to select it, then hold the keyboard's "Command" key and press the "a" key.)

  2. If you update Tunnelblick, the new version may not have an OpenVPN 2.3.18 version (for example, when 2.3.19 replaces it). You may need to explicitly select the new version, using the same procedure, after the update.

  3. Some future version of Tunnelblick will not include any OpenVPN 2.3 versions. At that point you will either need to use an old version (which might have security vulnerabilities), or change your OpenVPN server so it uses a more modern version of OpenVPN. If you are getting VPN service from a VPN service provider, they will have to change their setup.

bill....@gmail.com

Jan 2, 2018, 5:26:01 PM1/2/18
to tunnelblick-discuss
Thank You! That tip worked and I can now connect as I could prior to the OS X update.