No connection attempts TB 3.7.5b3 macOS HS

woodwa...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2017, 10:48:34 AM12/3/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Hello,

I am able to install, configure, and connect to all my connections without any problems, for about the first hour.  After that initial hour, all connections attempts do nothing other than displaying: "*Tunnelblick: Disconnecting; VPN Details… window connect button pressed".  I can click connect on any of my VPN connections but this is the only message that is displayed.  The icon of the tunnel normally flashes while it attempts the connection, but at this point it doesn't even do that - it just stays at its disconnected icon.

I've tried restarting the app, restarting the mac, and adding new VPN configurations - all of which make no difference.  The only way I'm able to fix it is by completely uninstalling and reinstalling TB.  However, this repeats at the beginning of the problem (works for an hour, then fails).

Any thoughts what might be causing this?

Thanks!
Dan

Tunnelblick developer

Dec 3, 2017, 10:56:28 AM12/3/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
That type of problem usually indicates a problem in the configuration that is preventing the renegotiation of new cryptographic keys. (Such renegotiation is usually done every hour.)

Please follow the instructions at Read Before You Post to get the info needed to diagnose problems and then post that info.

In your situation, you should probably restart your computer, connect, wait an hour until the problem happens once, and then get the Diagnostic Info described in the above link.

Robert Stoeber

Dec 3, 2017, 1:15:33 PM12/3/17
to tunnelblick-discuss

I am having a similar problem, except that I can't connect at all. (The original message seems to indicate his VPN works for the first hour, mine does not.)

Using TunnelBlick 3.7.5beta03 (build 4950)

I have followed all the instructions in "Read Before You Post" with no success.

I believe, but not 100% sure, this problem started after the most recent TunnelBlick update yesterday, or the day before.

For the past few days I have been traveling so I only used my computer briefly at random coffee shops. The first few times TunnelBlick didn't work I assumed the local network was at fault. Today I had more time to experiment and I realized that my iPhone and iPad (using OpenVPN app) are connecting to the VPN properly. Tunnelblick is only repeating the message:

2017-12-03 11:01:26 *Tunnelblick: Disconnecting; VPN Details… window connect button pressed

Each press of the Connect button repeats that message. I have rebooted, several times, and tried using two different WI-Fi networks that are available to me right now. For the past hour I have been trying everything I can think of with no success. Then I came here and found someone with the same problem so I thought I should report my situation.

woodwa...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2017, 3:49:50 PM12/3/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
It's not letting me post the log - possibly it's too big?  Am I able to email it?

Tunnelblick developer

Dec 3, 2017, 4:20:25 PM12/3/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Sure, you can email it to me at my Gmail address, jkbullard.

woodwa...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2017, 4:45:06 PM12/3/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
I have sent just the log via email.

The steps involved with that log are
1) I uninstalled everything Tunnelblick related
2) I did a fresh install of the same version (in discussion title)
3) I created 1 configuration (Norway)
4) I connected to Norway and let it sit connected for about 30 to 45 minutes
5) I tried to disconnect/reconnect but on the disconnect didn't seem to work.  It took minutes of trying to disconnect before I quit Tunnelblick
6) I reopened Tunnelblick and tried to connect once again to Norway, but now I'm back to the original problem of it not trying to connect at all

cadec...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2017, 4:46:24 PM12/3/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Yep, this is definitely a bug in beta03.  Reverting to beta02 and everything works as designed.  I'm running High Sierra Developer Beta 10.13.2 Version 6. Sniffer trace shows no traffic leaving the machine, and it's stuck on a splash screen in the background like it hasn't finished fully launching the client itself.

woodwa...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2017, 5:26:59 PM12/3/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Thanks Cade, I'll revert to beta02.

jkullard - Sorry, the log email didn't go through.  It said the text may have contained a virus so it was denied.  Odd.  I'll revert to beta02 like Cade suggested.  Thanks for the help!

Dan

Tunnelblick developer

Dec 4, 2017, 7:25:32 PM12/4/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Tunnelblick 3.7.5beta03 has been withdrawn from distribution and earlier versions will not update to it. It has a bug which can cause unpredictable behavior. Tunnelblick 3.7.5beta04 will correct the bug and be available soon, possibly as early as Thursday December 7, but more likely on Friday, December 8. It will also include OpenSSL version 1.0.2n.

A fix for this bug has been committed to Tunnelblick's GitHub source code repository.