Error after updating to 3.7.4b

mag...@rapibo.se

Dec 8, 2017, 10:11:45 AM12/8/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Hi,
I was prompted to update to 3.7.4b and after the update I can't log on to Tunnelblick anymore. I get an error:

The log says:

     Contents of the OpenVPN log:

          Fri Dec  8 16:06:22 2017 NOTE: debug verbosity (--verb 10) is enabled but this build lacks debug support.

          Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in /Library/Application Support/Tunnelblick/Shared/XXX/Contents/Resources/config.ovpn:6: tls-remote (2.4.4)

          Use --help for more information.

     More details may be in the Console Log's "All Messages"

Any ideas what could have happened and how it is solved?

/Magnus

Tunnelblick developer

Dec 8, 2017, 10:25:44 AM12/8/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Your OpenVPN configuration contains the "tls-remote" option, which has been removed from the current version of OpenVPN, 2.4.

You should get the configuration updated because  at some point in the future, Tunnelblick will no longer include OpenVPN 2.3 (probably when OpenVPN 2.5 is released and we include that). When that happens, you will not be able to connect until your configuration has been modified for use on modern versions of OpenVPN.

As a workaround until you get the configuration change, change the version of OpenVPN you are using for this configuration to use "OpenVPN 2.3.18 - OpenSSL 1.0.2n".

You can do that on the "Settings" tab of the "Configurations" panel of Tunnelblick's "VPN Details" window. Select the configuration(s) that you want the change to apply to before making the change.

After that, each time you update Tunnelblick, if OpenVPN 2.3.18 is not included (for example, if we include OpenVPN 2.3.19 which doesn't exist yet and may never exist), you will need to change this setting again.

When your configuration has been fixed to work with OpenVPN 2.4, you should set Tunnelblick to use the "Default..." version of Tunnelblick.

mag...@rapibo.se

Dec 8, 2017, 10:51:06 AM12/8/17
to tunnelblick-discuss
Thanks! That really saved my day.

Eli104

Jul 11, 2018, 5:24:20 PM7/11/18
to tunnelblick-discuss
So... I have a question: I had a similar issue (which is how I found this thread). So... How do I update the OpenVPN configuration? is this something already on my machine and where do I find it?

Tunnelblick developer

Jul 11, 2018, 5:43:17 PM7/11/18
to tunnelblick-discuss
You can edit the configuration file if it is a "private" configuration. If it is a "shared" configuration, you must convert it to a "private" configuration first. You can do that by selecting the configuration in the list on the left side of the "Configuration" panel of Tunnelblick's "VPN Details…" window, clicking on the little "gear" icon below the list, and clicking "Convert to Private…". (If it says "Convert to Shared", it already is private.)

Once it is a shared configuration, edit the OpenVPN configuration file by selecting the configuration in the list on the left side of the "Configuration" panel of Tunnelblick's "VPN Details…" window, clicking on the little "gear" icon below the list, and clicking "Edit OpenVPN Configuration File…". That opens the file in a TextEdit window.

File locations are described at File Locations. HOWEVER, DO NOT try to manipulate the files directly. Let Tunnelblick do it.