Installation Issue

Roger Diggle

Feb 7, 2018, 1:12:28 PM2/7/18
to tunnelblick-discuss
I'm attempting to install Tunnelblick and can't install the config file.  Instructions tell me to drag the config file to the menu bar icon, or to the configurations window in the Tunnelblick configuration utility.  I've dragged the configuration file to both locations without the configuration being accepted by either of them.  Admin mode was unlocked.

Mac OS 10.11.6.
Tunnelblick 3.7.4b (build 4921)

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Tunnelblick developer

Feb 7, 2018, 1:19:26 PM2/7/18
to tunnelblick-discuss
What file are you trying to install?

If it is a plain text OpenVPN configuration file (open it in TextEdit and confirm that the Format menu shows a "Make Rich Text" item), then it must have an extension of ".ovpn" or ".conf". For example, "foo.conf".

If it is a "Tunnelblick VPN Configuration" with an extension of ".tblk", it must be a "package". Hold down the "Command" key while you click on it, and one of the choices should be "Show Package Contents". If it doesn't show "Show Package Contents", it isn't a valid "Tunnelblick VPN Configuration". (In which case I have no idea what it is.)

Note: you can't take an OpenVPN configuration file and change the extension to ".tblk". That isn't how things work : )

Roger Diggle

Feb 7, 2018, 4:53:28 PM2/7/18
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
Greetings -

Thanks for your reply.

Since I wrote this query, I discovered a silly operator error on
my part. I was accidentally selecting a file folder when I was
dragging the files.

I've since managed to get at least some of the files - maybe all
of them - installed.
It seemed like the TCP version of the files installed - but I
can't see them in the app. The UDP files are visible. All
along the way I've been getting recurring error messages that
installation processes are timing out. At on e point, the
process was interrupted by a message that the app needed to
update [presumably, the newly installed] files. That process
completed and asked me for my admin password. Even after that,
I got a few more timeout errors. I'm still not sure it's
finished - but for now I have to attend to other matters.

Roger

On 2/7/18 at 12:19 PM, jkbu...@gmail.com (Tunnelblick

Tunnelblick developer

Feb 7, 2018, 5:03:16 PM2/7/18
to tunnelblick-discuss
If you have multiple configurations, the easiest way to install them is to select all of them and drag all of them at once to the Tunnelblick icon. It will then ask something like "Do you want to install 27 configurations?".

Tunnelblick replaces an existing configuration if you try to install a new configuration with the same name. Do your UDP and TCP configurations have the same name?

If you have a folder structure (for example, UDP configs in a UDP folder, TCP configs in a TCP folder), you can put both folders into a new folder, and rename the new folder anything.tblk. If you then drag that ".tblk" to the Tunnelblick icon, it will install the configurations in the folder structure that is inside the .tblk. (When a folder is named with a ".tblk" extension, it becomes a "Tunnelblick VPN Configuration". To look inside it, remove the ".tblk" and it will become a regular folder again, or -- leaving it as a .tblk -- Control-click the .tblk and select "Show Package Contents".

On Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 4:53:28 PM UTC-5, Roger Diggle wrote:
[...]

On 2/7/18 at 12:19 PM, <> (Tunnelblick
Message has been deleted