Looking for information on "Admin Mode" for deployment purposes

Andrew

Jun 25, 2016, 4:33:13 PM6/25/16
to tunnelblick-discuss
Hello,

I am currently trying to deploy Tunnelblick through Munki, however, I have run into a road block since on every update, Tunnelblick needs admin permissions to overwrite and secure config files (which I don't see the point on doing for an upgrade).

I noticed that in 3.6.5beta02 build 4564 (2016-06-22) there was an update that introduced an "Admin Mode" and would like some more information on it, or some more information on how to deploy Tunnelblick through Munki, I did see this post: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tunnelblick-discuss/UYeR7vv_rXM but it isn't quite the same context for deploying through Munki, though there is a lot of good information in there.

Thanks,

jkbull...gmail.com

Jun 25, 2016, 9:54:29 PM6/25/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, adoe...@thousandeyes.com
Admin mode won't help. It really is just a way to enter your password once, and then not have to enter it for five minutes, even if you do things that would ordinarily require entry of your password.

Tunnelblick does not normally need to secure configuration files after an update. However a year or two ago the security settings of new configuration files was changed, and a recent update (a couple months ago?) required the stronger security on old files. That was a one-time issue, although I can't guarantee that something similar won't happen in the future, it seems unlikely.

adoe...@thousandeyes.com

Jun 25, 2016, 10:12:12 PM6/25/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, adoe...@thousandeyes.com
The most recent issue that occured with this was running the update to 3.6.3, which I had to pull back because I got 9 people requiring admin rights after the update. Is this the update that you are referring to?

jkbull...gmail.com

Jun 25, 2016, 10:59:05 PM6/25/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, adoe...@thousandeyes.com
I think so, but am not sure. I believe there were some were some posts about it in the Discussion Group.