Unable to connect to VPN (Error #226)

Pierce

Jul 7, 2016, 9:08:33 AM7/7/16
to tunnelblick-discuss
I am trying to connect to an existing VPN configuration using Tunnelblick but I get the error "Warning! Tunnelblick was unable to start OpenVPN to connect VPN_NAME. For details, see the log in the VPN Details… window". Previously this VPN worked fine and I have not made any configuration changes (although it's possible Tunnelblick installed an autoupdate or similar?). Other user's at my company are able to connect to the same VPN with no problems.

This is what I see in the log:

*Tunnelblick: OS X 10.11.5; Tunnelblick 3.6.4a (build 4561); prior version 3.5.10 (build 4270.4563)

2016-07-07 14:01:45 *Tunnelblick: Attempting connection with iwoca VPN using shadow copy; Set nameserver = 769; monitoring connection

2016-07-07 14:01:45 *Tunnelblick: openvpnstart start iwoca\ VPN.tblk 1337 769 0 1 0 1065265 -ptADGNWradsgnw 2.3.11

2016-07-07 14:01:45 *Tunnelblick: openvpnstart starting OpenVPN

2016-07-07 14:01:55 *Tunnelblick:

Could not start OpenVPN (openvpnstart returned with status #226)

Contents of the openvpnstart log:

*Tunnelblick: openvpnstart log:

     stderr from kextload: /Applications/Tunnelblick.app/Contents/Resources/tun-signed.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) kext (kmod) start/stop routine failed; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

[...]

     Unable to load net.tunnelblick.tun and/or net.tunnelblick.tap kexts in 5 tries. Status = 71

I have tried:

  • Quitting/reopening Tunnelblick
  • Restarting my machine
  • Installing an old version of Tunnelblick (3.5.10), the latest stable version (3.6.4a) and the latest beta (3.6.5beta04)
Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

jkbull...gmail.com

Jul 7, 2016, 9:16:44 AM7/7/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, pierce....@iwoca.co.uk
It is failing when trying to load the "tun" kext, probably because you have a conflicting tun kext already loaded. See An OpenVPN log entry says "Tunnelblick: openvpnstart status #247: Error: Unable to load net.tunnelblick.tun and/or net.tunnelblick.tap kexts in 5 tries. Status = 71".

Or you could instead use the "utun" device driver built into OS X 10.6.8 and higher. That will avoid the problem, I think, and you'll be using the official Apple driver.

You didn't post the information from Read Before You Post, so I can't tell you exactly how to do that. In general OpenVPN will automatically use "utun" if you don't have a "dev-type tun" option in your configuration file, and you do have a "dev tun" option.

pierce....@iwoca.co.uk

Jul 7, 2016, 9:40:58 AM7/7/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, pierce....@iwoca.co.uk
Thanks. That was the issue and following the guide you linked to allowed me to find the other tun kext which was being loaded by a different app (VyprVPN – used for internet access in China some time ago). Anyway, I've uninstalled that and it's not working.

jkbull...gmail.com

Jul 7, 2016, 10:08:16 AM7/7/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, pierce....@iwoca.co.uk
I hope that was a typo and you meant "and it's now working", and don't really mean "it's not working"!

Pierce Glennie

Jul 7, 2016, 10:51:02 AM7/7/16
to jkbull...gmail.com, tunnelblick-discuss
Yep that's right. Sorry!