Problem with ping of server via hotspot (network with log in/confirm license agreement page) after using TunnelBlick to connect to VPN on this server

dmi...@torba.me

Oct 26, 2016, 6:04:15 AM10/26/16
to tunnelblick-discuss
The following bug occurs on OS X El Captain 10.11.6 with Tunnelblick 3.6.5 (build 4566):

-I use my home wi-fi to connect to my VPN server (which is OpenVPN server ran on Linux Ubuntu)
-I quit tunnelblick and disconnect from VPN
-Then I move to location with public hotspot with log in page that is served to anyone who connects to network (like Starbucks or any campus wi-fi)
-In this network, the host on which OpenVPN is running can not even be 'ping'ed (the packets do not reach the destination) despite the fact that TunnelBlick is switched off
-The problem goes away after I restart computer

Tunnelblick developer

Oct 26, 2016, 6:14:25 AM10/26/16
to tunnelblick-discuss, dmi...@torba.me
What you are describing sounds like the VPN is not being properly shut down. Please follow the instructions at Read Before You Post to get the info needed to diagnose problems and then post that info.

For the problem you are reporting, please restart your computer, connect to your VPN from home, wait two minutes, then disconnect, then get the info.

You don't need to do anything about a public hotspot.